Gas bottle wood burner

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
DundeePrepper

Re: Gas bottle wood burner

Post by DundeePrepper »

This is a BRILLIANT idea.. It's not something I would do myself as I'm C-R-A-P with powertools :oops: but would certainly buy one.. I can see a business in this for someone.. Sell for say £50.. great for garden, bit of black spray paint hey presto :lol:
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

A cracking job well done, I painted mine black with the old fire paint we used years ago it comes up a treat :D
AREA 10
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

Thanks guys... not bad for a first go ,, but the terrible thing is between 2 families and 5 kids birthdays a year we have thrown away 4 other gas bottles !!!

Next is to paint it black and try to fit a chimney to the back .. i was thinking a car exhaust with a bolt on flange mounted near the top on the back side , not the top as i want to rest a pot on the 4 "nobbles" (which were the original feet ).. would any body have any idea what kind of car exhaust part i could use with a 90 degree bend near a bolt on flange ???

Many thanks Gary
CharpentierTom

Post by CharpentierTom »

Hi Gary, looks great. I have inherited some old gas bottles with my new house so am going to be giving this a go, at some point when I get a few hrs.
Just 1 thing before you paint it black make sure u take it in to the garden and burn all the old pink paint off by lighting a fire in it as it will give off some bad fumes. When cooled remove any residue with wire brush or flap disc on the disc cutter, Then your good to go.
All the best
Tom
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

Cheers Tom - thanks for that i would have gone ahead and just painted it black !!
newtonweir

Post by newtonweir »

Very nice job, Sir, well done.

If inspiration is needed : http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

The next cylinder I get hold of will become a compressed air receive rthough.

S.
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

i Am NoT that good at diy and this is my first attempt ...what i need to do is get a welder and learn how to weld !!! Thanks for all the feeedback !!!
greyman

Post by greyman »

Hi, gcp nice little burner you've made there.
Made a few gas bottle burners in the past,you don't need a welder mate to hold your flue on just some of these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Constru ... 797/p34919
and some self tappers,then finish the join off with fire cement
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Fire+Cement/p38992
(i don't work for toolstation,just the cheapest,you'll come to notice the cheap theme in my future posts (it's my scottish and jewish ancestory) ;) )
spiral galvanised ducting works well with burners and you can join as many pieces as you like,plus it's quite cheap ;)
I also found a nice piece of tubing inside an old bar stool,the same as thishttp://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 005975.htm
if you see one being thrown out.
The first one i made i put it on a website,if you type in NO WELD GAS BOTTLE WOODBURNER into google it's the one at the top.
may give you a couple of ideas.
Got an easy way to make latches if your interested.But i do like the way you've done yours gcp.And it's great making something for nowt.
Sorry to jump on the thread,but i hate people wasting money.
Cheers
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

I like your style - and i pass a tool station everyday !!!! i just had a new exhaust fitted by myself and instead if keeping a 3 foot length with a bend and a bolt on flange - i gave it to the scrapman DOH !¬