Has Anyone Tried Doing This?

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
triffid

Has Anyone Tried Doing This?

Post by triffid »

Saw this on Mail-online. Has anyone tried it? If so, does it work?

QUOTE Video reveals how to heat your home using just TEALIGHTS and FLOWERPOTS - and it costs just 8p a day

YouTube user Dylan Winter created the DIY heater for his boat and office
He used tealights that cost £1 for a pack of 100 plus two basic ceramic pots
The process uses the theory of convection heat transfer to warm a room
Tealights burn for around four hours in the morning and afternoon

HOW DOES THE DIY HEATER WORK?

In the video, the tealights are put inside a bread loaf tin and covered with a small upside-down flowerpot.
The hole in the top of the upside-down pot is covered with the metal casing leftover from one of the tealights.
This pot is covered by a second, larger pot and the hole in the bigger flowerpot is left uncovered.
The system works because the candles produce gases full of heated particles that are captured and channelled through the pots.
These hot gas particles are lighter than the gases in the air, meaning they rise up into the colder area.
This causes the cold air to fall into the warm areas and creates a convection current which transfers heat from one pot to another, and out of the hole on top.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2k4Nr5ZZx
END QUOTE

I shall have a go over the next couple of weeks & let you know!
junmist

Re: Has Anyone Tried Doing This?

Post by junmist »

hmm that sound interesting I will have to go and look to see what size flower pots I have out in the garden and have a go at this
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

I take it the pots are terra cotta ;)
AREA 10
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Sounds like a simplified version of this
http://heatstick.com/_Process.htm

Let us know how well (or otherwise) it works

Lo-Tech FTW
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

That looks very interesting i may very well give it go as part of my prepping practice sunday... However, my concern will be the heat from the candle through the metal tin and the surface, the tin is resting on... but wont know til i try.. thanks for sharing
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nothing exactly new.... Guy in the mail was probably told about it by his granny ;)

http://jimmythejock.hubpages.com/hub/Wo ... -Home-Life
People were resourceful and came up with ingenious ways of heating their Anderson shelters, drinks could be kept warm in thermos flasks, or Hay bottles which were bags wrapped around bottles of hot liquid which were stuffed with Hay or wrapped up newspapers, a brick sat in front of the coal fire for an hour or 2 then wrapped in a woolen jumper would make a great bed warmer and a heater was made from a candle and two clay flowerpots place the candle in one of the flowerpots lighting it and putting the other flowerpot upside down on top of the other provided a great source of heat.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/your- ... his-winter
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

I really like this idea, and am keen to see how well it works, if the electricity is down for a while, this will be a good way to stay warm, on a small budget. Has anyone had any success with it?
colack

Post by colack »

Sounds interesting and it seems like it should work, I'll give it a go, and see what happens
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

The trick with this is simply stalling the heat form rising to the ceiling and heating that, I like it, I have a couple of small cast iron chimneas which do the same thing, they are out in the yard now because the moggies were too interested in them, but if needs must I'd employ them again and this idea too.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

I first saw an idea like this through heatstick, but then I was thinking like, how much heat could this really produce? and if it is good enough to keep that little room warm, then maybe it will be ok if I had two of them and used them in my flat? But would that actually work when the temperature is in the minuses and how much by?
Initially i thought it might be a curiosity that would be fun to play with, but now i can see that i can use fewer flowerpots to experiment with....
hmmmm
hmmm
hmm
mmm :)

I'll get some pots next time I go shopping and give it a go.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks