Has Anyone Tried Doing This?

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
jean405

Re: Has Anyone Tried Doing This?

Post by jean405 »

nickdutch wrote:
jean405 wrote:I use a garden lantern (about a foot high) a pillar candle or two, and a terra-cotta pot over it. It takes the chill off a cold room, and could probably heat a small room, if you had two of them burning 24/7.

My lanterns look similar to these

http://www.nordichouse.co.uk/rusty-meta ... p-756.html

so, let me get this straight, you put the 1 - 3 candles in the lantern and then invert the pot over the top of the lantern yes?

Hi Nick here is a photo of mine, the small one in the background just has a porcelain dish over it because I didn't have any small pots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23196260@N00/10903119573/

I tried making one with multiple pots, and nuts and bolts, but they seemed to give off the same amount of heat, so I thought this was easier, I can use the pots in summer for plants.

Jean
Last edited by jean405 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORAC1

Post by ORAC1 »

Hi,
I got in touch with the US supplier for shipping costs, here is what Doyle said.

have put together the following shipping/order info for you, let me know if you need more.

Shipping to England

Thank you very much for your interest in our Kandle Heeter tm Candle Holder, we have really enjoyed shipping our products to Great Britian (and other parts of Europe) over the years, however, shipping rates have risen over 50% in the last two years and shipping overseas now is rather expensive. You might want to sit down with a cup of tea for this, the news is not good.

We can ship one unit via First Class Mail (no insurance and no tracking number available) because it's packaged wright is just under 4 pounds. The charge for this service is $35.06. If you want insurance and a tracking number then the same package via Priority International Mail (a 6-10 service) is $50.34.

Shipping expense goes down PER UNIT if you order more, but a larger order will weigh over 4 pounds and must be shipped via Priority Mail (with insurance and tracking number). Two units will ship for $60.95 ($30.50/each), three units will ship for $71.62 ($23.87/ea), four units for $82.11 ($20.50/ea), five units does not a "good" package make (Yoda speak), six units for $101.97 ($17/ea) and just for fun, 8 units will ship for $122.71 or $15.39 each -- which is about what it costs to ship one to upstate New York from our location in California. So the best way to place an order is to gather up family and friends and build an order that helps make the shipping expense more reasonable. I might add that these prices are subject to change and these prices are on-line prices, if I were to actually walk into a post office and need assistance in mailing the package I would be charged even more. (UPS and FedEx are even more ridiculously priced!)

That said, perhaps you can help us. We have been trying all year to find someone in Europe that would like to work with us to provide our products to the European Market. We are a small cottage industry based business and any kind of European start-up would start small and build over the years. We have been manufacturing Kandle Heeter tm Candle Holders for over 8 years and have an established American market and we get 3-6 requests every week from Europe which go mostly unfilled. There is a large market for our products in Europe, if you know of anyone who is a bit crazy and is interested in starting a small business (could even be you) please let them know of this opportunity. This is definitely not a "get-rich-quick" scheme . . . but we do make our time and have a pleasant and rewarding work experience. Our quality control ethic is that we produce every unit as if it were meant as a gift for our mother. We will not sacrifice quality for quantity -- our craftsmanship standards are very high.

Again, thank you for your interest, if I can be of any further help please let me know. If you wish to place an order just tell me the quantity and I will put together a Money Request vai PayPal for the order and the shipping expense. We are currently operating right up to speed, so your order will ship either the same day as payment or the next.

Warm wishes,

Doyle Doss
Stay WARMER This Winter!
www.heatstick.com
Area 2
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Eltharian

Post by Eltharian »

Ive sent a email off to them about possibly distributing it for them.
Hopefully there not too many sales.
I kinda got a day job :P
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

jean405 wrote:
nickdutch wrote:
jean405 wrote:I use a garden lantern (about a foot high) a pillar candle or two, and a terra-cotta pot over it. It takes the chill off a cold room, and could probably heat a small room, if you had two of them burning 24/7.

My lanterns look similar to these

http://www.nordichouse.co.uk/rusty-meta ... p-756.html

so, let me get this straight, you put the 1 - 3 candles in the lantern and then invert the pot over the top of the lantern yes?

Hi Nick here is a photo of mine, the small one in the background just has a porcelain dish over it because I didn't have any small pots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23196260@N00/10903119573/

I tried making one with multiple pots, and nuts and bolts, but they seemed to give off the same amount of heat, so I thought this was easier, I can use the pots in summer for plants.

Jean

The lantern idea is really interesting. If I got one of them and used a bioethanol fireplace burning tin in it instead of a candle I might get some real wattage out and hey presto, gimme self the pleasure of radiant heat and fire light.

Hot idea :)
reperio a solutio
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just wonder what the result of sitting something like this on top would be
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0930117823
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Just wonder what the result of sitting something like this on top would be
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0930117823
Not to sure of the rationale for that, but the pots might just get enough heat together to make the fan blow, but would they really get the fins hot enough?

methinks more research is needed.

BUT I was thinking of removing the chimney from my metal chimnea and then putting an inverted pot on top so that i can get more usable heat from maybe just one bioethanol burner tin, but that's gonna require experimentation to make sure Im being safe.
reperio a solutio