Rodent Proof Storage

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Ogre

Rodent Proof Storage

Post by Ogre »

I had to get the Washing Machine fixed yesterday, used one of these local appliance repair places from the phone book.

As the guy was getting his tools packed, I happened to ask if he ever gets any knackered chest freezers would he give me first refusal before scrapping them ? I explained I wanted them for the shed for rodent proof storage. (Didn't say what I was storing)

For sure.

Plus if I want any to be scrapped fridge freezers, help myself to them from the back of their shop. The scrapman has to be blackmailed into taking them.

Lovely bloke.

Then he dropped the bombshell.

Someone racked one of them out as a tool store :shock: .

I can probably get my hands on enough ply to line a few of these babies. If I do it correctly I shouldn't even have to drill into the frames.

Soo, lots of tool stores and plenty of rodent proof storage on the horizon .

Give your local firm a ring, they may even deliver cheaply.
WhiteWolf

Re: Rodent Proof Storage

Post by WhiteWolf »

Orge

Have you developed these plans further?

If so we want pictures :D

WW 8-)
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

`Dead` chest freezers are fab for storage, I used to have one and stored my chicken feed in it to keep it free from rats. At the moment I am using an old upright fridge as a drainage rack which closes to keep animal hides away from rats too, once they are washed and pickled etc. :) They drain (with the door shut firmly) into the bottom which is like a shallow depression, when I need to I just sweep the water out and dry the bottom of it.
I`m not savvy enough to know how, but.....
if you wanted to make a food dehydrator using a low wattage bulb, couldn`t you adapt a small fridge to do this? You could remove just enough of the rubber seal around the door to put a wire/fitting/bulb in at the top. Trouble would be you need vent holes, and am not sure how you`d do that.
On second thoughts a sturdy thick cardboard box or plywood box with a low wattage bulb, vent holes and some kind of makeshift shelves in it would do the same job I think.
:D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

What do you do with animal hides RD ? ....mad visions of you in a wee log cabin surrounded with pines and White Fang waiting at the door :shock: sewing moccasins :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This summer I'm going to play with dehydrating. Will start with carrots, for soup.
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

diamond lil wrote:What do you do with animal hides RD ? ....mad visions of you in a wee log cabin surrounded with pines and White Fang waiting at the door :shock: sewing moccasins :mrgreen:

Well, I have a wee online shop, selling animal hides, rugs, deerhides and sheepskin insoles for boots and shoes. The taxidermy is only word of mouth until I get more proficient at it (am currently stuffing a bunny for want of a better phrase :D )
I`d like to say it`s a living, but with the recession, nobody is buying `luxury` goods like animal hide rugs etc nowadays, so...
Not so far off, cept the house is a wee white crofthouse and the trees are about a stand of twenty pine and fir at the front. :D
(and White Fang is an auld border collie)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's lovely- working with sheepskins etc. So if TSHTF you can sell us all nice warm insoles :mrgreen:
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

If TSHTF I can kit ye out like Davey Crocket :lol: (or an Ekimo, take your pick) plus it makes a great bedroll. :D
Not sure how handy stuffed animals would be though.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

The eskimo look would come in handy tonight - its snowing like gawd knows wot outside and its horizontal !