My new pantry (pic heavy)

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
23pioneer

Re: My new pantry (pic heavy)

Post by 23pioneer »

Arzosah wrote:Thats *fantastic*, Spiderwebb! I love posts and pics like that, thanks for posting.
Seconded - a picture paints a thousand words, well done
Trotsky

Post by Trotsky »

That's ace!!! It looks like you've made the best of what you've got, and put some real thought into it. Nice one.
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

That looks really nice! Are you going to be storing water there as well or do you have another place planned for it?
RichT

Post by RichT »

Nice I like the hidden storage behind the notice board, I might have to steel that idea :D

Rich
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

are you storing most of your preps in there?

if so since you have a spur for the alarm how about fitting an emergency led bulkhead in there? eg http://www.energysavelighting.co.uk/8w- ... tAod0isADA

I paid £15 for one from our local sparkie wholesaler

with a little bastardization you can wire a small toggle switch into the battery wire.....

idea in my mind been if the power goes off it comes on (when set to non maintained) ...... allowing you to find your candles / lanterns/ torches..... then you can turn the emergency light off with your toggle switch and conserve any remaining battery power for when you go looking for a tin of beans and sausages for your supper ;) (when power comes back on just flick the switch to charge back up and revert to standby use)

rated life of battery is 3 hours but they usually can eek about 4-5 hours of useable light unlike the older fluorescent versions the leds just begin to dim rather than go out
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Riosingh

Post by Riosingh »

Have you considered having some stone/marble/slate shelfs for keeping butter and veg and meat cold?
halight

Post by halight »

Looks great, I really wish we had something like this
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

teatowls wrote:That looks really nice! Are you going to be storing water there as well or do you have another place planned for it?
Thanks :-). Since taking the pics I do now store c. 75 litres of water on the floor at the back of the pantry. The temp in there is consistently/relatively cool so ideal. I'm increasing water stored elsewhere and when funds permit I'll be investing in a Big Berkey :-)
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

RichT wrote:Nice I like the hidden storage behind the notice board, I might have to steel that idea :D

Rich
Thanks. If you do and it's located above a radiator, bear in mind using adhesive use hold magnetic strips in place is a pants idea!
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:are you storing most of your preps in there?

if so since you have a spur for the alarm how about fitting an emergency led bulkhead in there? eg http://www.energysavelighting.co.uk/8w- ... tAod0isADA

I paid £15 for one from our local sparkie wholesaler

with a little bastardization you can wire a small toggle switch into the battery wire.....

idea in my mind been if the power goes off it comes on (when set to non maintained) ...... allowing you to find your candles / lanterns/ torches..... then you can turn the emergency light off with your toggle switch and conserve any remaining battery power for when you go looking for a tin of beans and sausages for your supper ;) (when power comes back on just flick the switch to charge back up and revert to standby use)

rated life of battery is 3 hours but they usually can eek about 4-5 hours of useable light unlike the older fluorescent versions the leds just begin to dim rather than go out

Thanks for the suggestion, a great idea. I thought I'd get away without a permanent light, but it turns out I was wrong - as the ADT alarm guy would testify having spent 3 hours in there fitting a new system! I'll have a closer look at the 'link' later but 80% likely to grab one of these. Oh, not all my preps are in there :D Cheers.