Wood gas stove build (pic heavy)

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
munchh

Wood gas stove build (pic heavy)

Post by munchh »

Hi, i have had a go at making a woodgas stove and took a few pics, so thought i'd put it up here in the chance it may help someone else or at least inspire you to have a go.

My insperation comes from 'YANKEEPREPPER' on you tube for this one, not your ususl US Prepper. ;)

A few small pointers,
The tools used were a drill, a dremel type multi tool (for cutting slots and grinding sharp burs off after drilling) and tin snips a file would help also.

When drilling all the holes you should pilot drill as the tin will deform quite easily and take the big drill slow as i messed up some of the holes going too quick.

I'm doing my best to make this for as little as possible, the drinks powder can would normally end up in the recycling and i grabbed the grapefruit segments can out of my sisters recycling, so far its cost nothing.

I ended up with a few cans that are a bit smaller than the ones typicaly shown in the vids on you-tube, but having a smaller version cant be a bad thing.

So i started with a well known hot chocolate powder can, drilled 8 holes around the top edge (the lid end) 12mm holes.

Then on the bottom of it i drew around the second smaller can so i could see where to cut, i cut about 5-8mm inside that circle, then cut out to the line to create small fins, this will help to lock the inner can in place when pushed in.

Then mark up the second can in a similar way, 8x12mm holes around the open end this time.
Mark out 4 slots just above the wide rim

When pushing the smaler can in take it slow, just work it in as you do not want to bend the fins too much and once it is in push it fully down and it will hold itself in place.

I have made a temp pot stand and this still needs hole put in it, but i want some wire grate really, i will give this a try first.

The only thing missing in a grill of some sort to go inside to keep the wood above the height of the slots, i will knock something up, but i would like to get hold of some of that grid they use on the top of one use bbq's or gutter grate, but again, if i can 'forage' it i will ;)
I am hoping to give it a go tomorrow, so will post more once i've given it a go.
Last edited by munchh on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Re: Wood gas stove build (pic heavy)

Post by munchh »

That old sieve needs replacing, hehehehe

It will hold the wood just above the slots so the air can get under the fuel.

I've also put some slots in the pot stand, i can always make them bigger if needed.
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

ImageSHORT VIDEO SO YOU CAN SEE THE JETS WORKING.
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

I am very impressed, the first one and it works great!

It really needs looking after though, i had it going with small pieces of wood, put the pot stand on and as i put the crusader cup on it went out!

I found once its going it is far better to use lumps about 2"x1", this i suppose is obvious, but this is why i like to try this stuff.

So boil time for 0.5l of water outside temp 9.c, 8 mins.

I am amaized just how little ash is left, there is virtuly nothing in the bottom of the can.

I need a different pot stand, but the seive grate is 'grate' :oops:

Even after the flames go out the heat coming off the coals is enough to keep the water warm, would be nice to have close in your camp.

Let me know what you think or any questions??
AREA 3
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Nice work, really appreciate the pics & description. Fairly sure our sieve needs replacing too so I think I'll give this a go :D #inspired
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

That's brilliant. Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Spiderwebb wrote:Nice work, really appreciate the pics & description. Fairly sure our sieve needs replacing too so I think I'll give this a go :D #inspired
Well, here it is (complete with butchered sieve!). It's had a test run and it worked fairly well. I have a couple of improvements in mind so I'm thinking of this one as a prototype. #2 will have to wait though as my Black & Decker Wizard literally went bang!
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.54 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
munchh

Post by munchh »

Good job. I'm glad to enspire.

I will definately be making m eat what is in the right size tins.ore, a bigger one for sure.

It make the normal trip to the supermarket a little more interesting :) , just have to want to
AREA 3
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Great tutorial. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.