My first attempt at the homemade Meths stove. PIC HEAVY

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
redskies

Re: My first attempt at the homemade Meths stove. PIC HEAVY

Post by redskies »

Ok, those are REALLY neat!

This one in particular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8JI6h ... WA&index=1
gyxile

Post by gyxile »

redskies wrote:Ok, those are REALLY neat!

This one in particular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8JI6h ... WA&index=1

such a work of art. I want one of those cans just to put on my shelf :)
munchh

Post by munchh »

yeah thats a bit special.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
junmist

Post by junmist »

oh I haven't seen one of them before I will be having a look at them but pardon my ignorance what is JB weld :oops:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
redskies

Post by redskies »

junmist wrote:oh I haven't seen one of them before I will be having a look at them but pardon my ignorance what is JB weld :oops:

If you're ignorant, then so am I, cos I had to go and look it up! Here you go - http://www.jbweld.com/

Definitely something I'll try to get hold of over here; looks like a very useful bit of kit just for my everyday work, never mind any other time!

(My two youngest kids watched a few of the videos with me; they were spellbound!)
tacticalprepper

Post by tacticalprepper »

That does look pretty decent, and even if it takes 10 minutes to boil water, its still boiled isn't it? Might have a go at making one of these myself and try some alternative fuels :D
AREA 3
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Re: other fuels... Just don't OK

This is form of pressure stove is ideal for use with alcohol (Meths, Everclear, Bio-ethanol etc) but you're asking for trouble if you use Hydrocarbons (Petrol, Gasoline, Diesel, Paraffin, White Spirit...To name a few)....

Please guys, Stay Safe.

There are Hydrocarbon safe Self-build designs out there but they are mostly open-venting types with little or no pressure
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Pointboy

Post by Pointboy »

I tried this, but failed with the open top version because the side split, is this easier to make?
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

seen some of these before but they call them penny stoves or hobo stoves you could try rock wool filling should save on the spirits.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

These are pressure stoves, the pressure is created by the alcohol boiling. Putting an inert filler in will retard the boiling thereby stopping you from getting the pressure build-up.*

This is how a Bengazi stove works (its a safe way of using petrol as a fuel)..... Anyone whos seen "Ice cold in Alex" has seen a Bengazi stove.

I'll dig out a few links to some How-2s

ETA, * Sorry, I come across as a bit of a dick there
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar