My first attempt at the homemade Meths stove. PIC HEAVY

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
12mp82

Re: My first attempt at the homemade Meths stove. PIC HEAVY

Post by 12mp82 »

This is how a Bengazi stove works (its a safe way of using petrol as a fuel)..... Anyone whos seen "Ice cold in Alex" has seen a Bengazi stove.
Blimey that's going back a while.

That's when they had a can filled with sand and then added the petrol to it before lighting :mrgreen:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

munchh

Post by munchh »

Yeah and that beer at the end looks so good....mmmmm.

I used cotton wool inside this one, it means you have to fill it right up before it will light, i am now trying the style with the hollow middle, but not having much luck, i will end up buying a Trangia, Evernew or Tatonka, with the trivet that fits, although its nice to know i can make one that would work in an emergency!
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Basic Open-well burner. This is the type I'm currently messing about with
http://zenstoves.net/BasicTopBurner.htm

Even more Alky stove info then you'll ever need
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm#Types

And another interesting design, if it works as well as they claim
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/popstove/index.html

Open-well Side-burner
http://back2dabike.wordpress.com/my-rid ... ade-stove/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Post by munchh »

Im off up the woods this weekend and so I have been pulling out my gear to be sure its all there.

I got the last and what was the best version of an open center stove I made, thought id fire it up to tru a new wind sheld I have.

Its rubbish! It was great but it just power through the alcahol like its going out of fashion. It used to burn long enough go boil 1/2 litre of water as sif there boiling it for another 5 mins, but now doesnt burn long enough to have more that ting bubbles!

any ideas, good job I have a bigger back up, but its annoying?
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Munchh: Which stove are you having problems with?
Does it only play up with the new wind shield ?

When are you going, because I could post you one of mine if you think you'd get it (problem is the bloody postage would be three notes!!)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Its cool I have one other and plenty of cans so I can make another if needed, yeah postage has got silly, you got any oics of yours, im going to try the aluminium bud bottle type next, shame they pulled all the bud lite in ali bottle from this country.

im going friday, got my dining room covered in gear.

anyway, yeah it just seems to want to purge itself of fuel as soon as possible?

with or without windshield :?
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

Have been trying a few different ones with different size cans and seem to have found the best ones for each, but would like to get hold of some of those new 250ml cans

1mm drill seems to be the best size for the jets, i havent used wadding inside any as ive been learning to fill them with just enough to boil 500ml of water.

The bottom edge of the outer can definately needs sealing with something, hi temp silicone, or gasket, or ive found something called "serious glue"

The small cans (these are redbull or the smaller 3 for a £1) work fine but instaed of the 16 holes i use 12 and you need to make it taller as it wont hold enough fuel for a single boil.
AREA 3
neverready

Post by neverready »

Good info munchh, thanks.

Just made one of these out of two coke cans. Used an old mains test screwdriver to poke the holes...I think they may be a bit too big.

I did successfully boil enough water for a couple of cupppas but I had it filled to the brim with meths and it used every last drop. Very yellow flame and didn't really seemed to bloom efficiently. I used it with my Swedish/Italian/German mess kit and wind shield.

So not very efficient in terms of meths but usable and the best part is that it fits inside my mess kit as a back up for the trangia.
Area 5.

Looking for woodland for gear testing/overnighters ;)
munchh

Post by munchh »

Yeah I have tried various different ones, the best all round is the one in the bottom right of the picture above, 1mm holes are best for that and sealing the bottom edge on the outside makes it far more efficient, you can do this with glue as long as its high temp stuff or gasket type stuff.
its a good back up, im a bit fed up that my local b&q have stopped selling alchol for the fires they still sell, its much cheaper than meths and has no smell :(
AREA 3
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ebay is your friend

Some of those sources are just over two quid a litre delivered (if you can buy bulk )