[HOW TO] Pistol Crossbow Stock Modification

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Toddie

[HOW TO] Pistol Crossbow Stock Modification

Post by Toddie »

Alright, so today i got myself a 80lb 'self' cocking crossbow from nmproducts.net (great cheap site btw) All this lot below came to £50.47:

x1 80lb Cobra MK2 self cocking crossbow
x2 12PK of plastic bolts
x1 10PK Alloy Bolts
x3 Tubes of Rail Wax
x2 Spare strings with limb tips
x1 Camo Bag

Pic below:

And for a while i've wanted one of these just to play around with and modify to myself. Today as soon as i got it out of the box the plan was to put a stock on it.

Here are the before and after pics for curious readers, and i'll post how i did this further down the post.

Before:

After:

Items used to modify the bow:

2 Paint rollers, Insulation tape and 'ranger' bands made from inner tube.

Removed the plastic handles from the paint rollers, then you'll be left with the below (this all cost me £3 from the quid shop) :

Add insulation tape so the bands have a snug fit (leave enough room for the metal stocks to be able to be inserted with a snug fit)

Place the bands on the cocking handle, then insert the stock pieces

Now you're pretty much done, secure with insulation tape if needs be, then as an added extra if you wish, add the spongy roller bits back onto the ends to give a cushy stock end then cover with insulation tape (makes it look a tad more sightly) :

End Product! :

Also gives a place to hold bolts!

All in all took about 1h 30 to go from everything being boxed to the end product. I know it looks a bit tacky at the minute, but I'll hopefully get around to spraying the metal. Also using the inner tubing means you can extend or reduce the stock, or remove it completely (i don't intend to).

Next to go on will be a scope and possibly a foregrip.

Let me know what you think!
Last edited by Toddie on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
Plymtom

Re: [HOW TO] Pistol Crossbow Stock Modification

Post by Plymtom »

Did you have a few goes with it before you "modified" it, I found mine pretty good as is, light enough and all :|
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Bilbo

Post by Bilbo »

does it affect the cocking of the bow in anyway ?
Humour is one of the best ingredients of survival.
(Aung San Suu Kyi)
SJS

Post by SJS »

Could you post a link to the crossbow itself on their site? I cannot find any crossbows on there (just bolts and accessories).

Reservior

Post by Reservior »

Like the Spydie!
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Plymtom wrote:Did you have a few goes with it before you "modified" it, I found mine pretty good as is, light enough and all :|
I did yeah, tbh, it was nice enough to use without a stock, but up until now i've always used air rifles, so it feels more natural for me to have something going against my shoulder, without having to get a monster 150/180lb crossbow, then the prices start to hike.
Bilbo wrote:does it affect the cocking of the bow in anyway ?
Nope, it's completely separate from the cocking mechanism, here's a pic:

SJS wrote:Could you post a link to the crossbow itself on their site? I cannot find any crossbows on there (just bolts and accessories).

http://nmproducts.net/80lbs-lightning-m ... =3267_3418
Reservior wrote:Like the Spydie!
So very handy to have around. I use it so much. Best 6-7 quid i've spent!
Area 8.

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I did yeah, tbh, it was nice enough to use without a stock, but up until now i've always used air rifles, so it feels more natural for me to have something going against my shoulder, without having to get a monster 150/180lb crossbow, then the prices start to hike.
Ah makes more sense now, they are monsters compared with air rifles, heavy and about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide, and I don't seem to be able to find a comfortable way of using the sling, it always finds something to snag on :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Plymtom wrote:
Ah makes more sense now, they are monsters compared with air rifles, heavy and about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide, and I don't seem to be able to find a comfortable way of using the sling, it always finds something to snag on :lol:
I need to put a sling on this so it's easier to carry (in my back garden.. :P ) Might have to do it tomorrow.
Area 8.

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo »

I bought one :) love it! very powerful for a pistol crossbow, been setting up targets in the garage for now i got the thick foam target sheet does the job. I also bought the 175# jaguar camo crossbow for £100 from blades & bows, haven't strung it yet but its a beast. Just need to find somewhere safe to shoot it. I'll upload a pic soon as i can.
Humour is one of the best ingredients of survival.
(Aung San Suu Kyi)
tom2tom

Post by tom2tom »

That's look pretty neat!
Me all i am and all i want to be!