How do you make a 'blow pipe'

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Rearfang

Re: How do you make a 'blow pipe'

Post by Rearfang »

Missed a cold steel one on ebay uk
Though classed as section 1firearm typical daft uk law
Having mild asthma probably do better with a pea shooter
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

diamond lil wrote:You canny very well use poison and then eat whatever it was you shot- can you! :shock:
Yes where they use blow pipes they certainly do, because cooking it neutralizes the poison altogether ;) and I have to say I watched Ray Mears or something where the local tribe made one, it was an awful lot of faffing around, but it was what they had to do with what they have to hand.

Just for the record a blowpipe may be the first thing which fires some kind of projectile I find myself not really bothered about trying. :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

We had plastic ones with sucker darts when we were kids, from memory they had a decent range depending on the amount of puff you had and either we were all naturals or they were exceptional easy to be accurate with.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Plymtom wrote:
Just for the record a blowpipe may be the first thing which fires some kind of projectile I find myself not really bothered about trying. :lol:

Scratch that :lol: I've woken up my normal self... if they were legal I'd want one now :roll:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
greyman

Post by greyman »

Takes aa big puff to blow one...

Sorry couldn't resist. :D
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

ive not read this thread in full, just skimmed it so sorry about that if i miss something.

I've made them before from cut down lengths of plastic plumbers pipe when I've needed one for firing fishing baits out (dont ask) - I masked them up in camo tape as they were white plastic and they were effective at firing bait out at close range for stalking carp - iwas firing bait about the size of a small marble but it did need a lot of puff !!!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

There was a time when some on the sites I worked would make what they termed "putty pipes" which were simple blowpipes. 1/2" copper tube was the preferred material for the tube and was usually between 3 or 4 feet in length but could reach 6 feet . The projectile was made of a piece of rolled putty ( hence the name) or preferably plumbers mate which is similar to putty but perhaps a little more oily . Of course the object wasn't to kill anything but they did sting if you were on the wrong end but as to being able to use one for hunting I'm not sure.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Again something I played with a lot as a child... I did have a strange childhood. Anyway they are actually quite easy to use and pretty accurate (more so than you might expect) but as other have said the problem is the amount of force they deliver.
I haven't tried any sort of lead tipped dart but you might get enough hit for very small game like a squirrel maybe? But you'd only stun it at best I suspect. Good fun to play with though.
the reverend

Post by the reverend »

To own or construct a blow pipe in the UK now is against the law. I am certain though from your wording that you are merely researching the subject. I saw a video on you tube, the channel was called way out west with sandra and the film was called Excellent Homemade Blow-Pipe Dart Gun From Household Items.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We have a 50cm length of aluminium tubing which is used as a pea shooter (NOT a blowpipe) with dried peas to discourage some of the local vermin from using the garden as a toilet. Accuracy with lots of practice over about 15 metres is about 50cm. I was hit when t'other half was mucking about and it is enough to raise a small bruise but would be unlikely to take down a rabbit or squirrel.
The local foxes all scarper when they hear the peas pinging nearby which is all we are trying to achieve. One bruise is enough for them to learn.
The downside is pea shoots springing up in strange places although I suspect most just get eaten by other wildlife.