Starting a fire

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Bird1050

Re: Starting a fire

Post by Bird1050 »

As an ex squadie i found the best thing to use are tampax or equivalent as they are
1 in a waterproof plastic wraper
2 they will give off a lot of heat
3 easy to use
4 burn clean

Simple open tampax use a knife and slice it length ways light using iether a striker or windproof matches
the put kindling on top and hey presto fire
tom2tom

Post by tom2tom »

Maybe you are over thinking this why not just carry some fire starters instead =)?
Me all i am and all i want to be!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

tom2tom wrote:Maybe you are over thinking this why not just carry some fire starters instead =)?

Two is one and one is none.....

When the firelighters run out, you'll need a back up and a back up to your back up.... etc :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tom2tom

Post by tom2tom »

^ True =P
Me all i am and all i want to be!
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

You can buy a bag of 100 cotton wool balls and a tub of petroleum jelly in a pound shop (even tesco i think) for £2ish. Rain/shine/blowing a gale, I've never failed to get a fire going with a firesteel and cotton ball rubbed with p'jelly!
Area 12 - South Wales
'Hope for the best, plan for the worst'
Manclife

Post by Manclife »

I buy the flat cotton pads that's usually used for removing make up, pull the pad apart so you now have 2 slim pads, put a blob of Vaseline in the middle and squish back together. They're not greasy (as its all on the inside) and I can get a huge bag of the pads and a massive tub of petroleum jelly very cheap at most £1 stores. I store them in a plastic change bag.

You just have to remember to fray the edge to make it fluffy and easier to light. They burn for a good few mids too in quite windy conditions.
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

Hi all.. iv'e just started prepping and so far i think i have come up with some great ideas,, AND ITS FREE . after christmas we seem to have a great deal of choccy tins slowly becoming empty (quality st , celebrations etc) not only the metal ones make excellent platforms to burn candles on or convert into ovens they are also have a quite a good seal on them to store things in ( cheap faraday cage perhaps ?) ..now if you have a tumble dryer (not condensing) the fluff from the filter makes a brilliant alternative to cotton wool to start fires with and so far i have filled one tin to the brim of this fluff enabling cotton wool to be used as was intended ... hope this helps !!
Pointboy

Post by Pointboy »

Arzosah wrote:Thanks Daylen, thats a good point, about the density of the material ... when I *am* up to experimenting, I'll make a note of it.
I saw on one of bear grills episodes that he made like a cloth charcoal. Literally he just put some old cloth in a tin and sealed it up the. Put it in a fire and it doesn't burn the cloth but I guess turns it into a cloth charcoal which is very easy to light. You just do the same as when you are making charcoal but instead of wood it is cloth
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
Pointboy

Post by Pointboy »

Moony wrote:If you want to use your existing scrap/ rags lookup "making charcloth" on the interwebz. It needs to be natural fiber (cotton/linen) and not synthetic material, but it makes a great firelighting material.
Damn you beat me too it. Just saw that you posted that hah a
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I thought I'd give this excellent thread a little bump.

I've been on the look out all summer for some more dry tinder fungus. This type is called cramp ball fungus and it looks a lot like smooth black horse dung stuck to the side of trees, predominately Ash. Open it up and it has a dark brown inner with concentric circles that take a spark well.

I thought I'd try and take a short vid to show how combustible it is. If starting fires with no matches or lighters is your thing then there are much better videos than mine on youtube that are worth checking out. I'll try and take a more professional video when I've got a camera stand or assistant!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/859 ... Fungus.wmv
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors