Outside Clay Oven

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Rosesandtea

Re: Outside Clay Oven

Post by Rosesandtea »

Really good - I am going to show dh this thread. You guys have done a great job.
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

I would love one of these ovens in my yard I have looked into them a lot and promised myself one day I will get all the materials together through recycling as much as possible and do it I can wait to try smoked beer can chicken in one.

Good job well done
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Well done sue , just read whole article come and build me one , do you do comissions ;)
J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
modernwisewoman

Post by modernwisewoman »

Preppinsu could you please advise on the distance there should be between a fence (the neignbours) and the oven/smoker? I do not know if you have checked how hot it gets around the sides of your wonderful creation. Thank you
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

modernwisewoman wrote:Preppinsu could you please advise on the distance there should be between a fence (the neignbours) and the oven/smoker? I do not know if you have checked how hot it gets around the sides of your wonderful creation. Thank you
Well, as the latest photos show the whole thing has been encased in its own little 'house' made of wood. The clay oven has 3 layers and the outside gets hot but not too hot that you can't put your hand in it.
We have used it many times now and not had a problem with the wood casing. We even sometimes leave the big door on but that does get hot and on one occasion it was smoking a little :shock:

Hope that helps.
external

Post by external »

I have to say that is simply brilliant. Seriously well done.

I love a good bbq but I now have a new item on my wish list!

I am quite amazed that the outside of the clay doesn't get too hot to touch. I must admit when I saw th image with the little hut around it and the logs behind I did wonder what sort of a hazard it might be.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

Wow absolutely fantastic what a great thread and well done on a brilliant project.
AREA 10
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Just read this thread and must add my congratulations, it's brilliant! Will show my wife, but not until I've hidden the 'to do' list!
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

just seen this, dont know why i've not seen it before but it looks excellent. Practicality is excellent, love the roof and surround smoker, the quality of the workmanship is excellent (I'm a chippy and have seen carpenters do worse!). Well done all round !
cypher

Post by cypher »

This makes me hope when I start digging at our new property I find clay!
Been a dream to have something like this for years.
Area 6