Outside Clay Oven

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
nickdutch

Re: Outside Clay Oven

Post by nickdutch »

Thats one of the finest home made projects I have seen. Wish I was a landowner so i could make one.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

preppingsu wrote:
popgoestheweasel wrote:That was a fascinating read and really good photos. Brilliant acomplishment.
Thank you. Next project is to build a cold smoker for the bacon from our pigs. I will start a new thread and post piccies and the process.
fantastic oven, does it still stand?

and whats progress with the smoker?

mmm bacon
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

essgee23 wrote:
preppingsu wrote:
popgoestheweasel wrote:That was a fascinating read and really good photos. Brilliant acomplishment.
Thank you. Next project is to build a cold smoker for the bacon from our pigs. I will start a new thread and post piccies and the process.
fantastic oven, does it still stand?

and whats progress with the smoker?

mmm bacon
Yes, it's still there despite the bad weather. The little 'house' is done with smoker attached. Just need to fit the chimney, felt the roof and then I'll take some pics and post them!
The smoked bacon is lush!!!!!!!!!!! :D
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Well, at long last the clay oven has a house with smoker attached, a roof and chimney, thanks to the lovely sunny weather we have had over the last few days.
It has been made with recycled wood. We dismantled our childrens playhouse and next doors as they no longer has use of it and the wood was reused. Cost, again, has been minimal (as with the whole project). Roofing felt was the biggest cost. The colours are there because the playhouse was painted that way.
Photo0507.jpg
Photo0507.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
The smoker is on the left. It is a cold smoker (so just to flavour food) but it would be easy enough to convert to a hot smoker ( to cook and flavour food).
The small door below is the smoke chamber.
Photo0508.jpg
Photo0508.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
The doweling has held 2 sides of bacon during smoking - they just hung over the doweling. To smoke fish we put an baking rack (cooling rack) and laid the fish over the top.
Photo0509.jpg
Photo0509.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
This is the smoke chamber. By the time the smoke has come through the pipe it has cooled down. It then gets dispersed through the holes in the main chamber floor.
Photo0510.jpg
Photo0510.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
This is a side on view. The small door is the chamber where we put a metal tray with wood shavings and produce the smoke. The roof was made longer so we can have a small wood store for the wood that is used in the clay oven.
Photo0511.jpg
Photo0511.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
We have put a small piece of fire brick to sit the metal tray on (just in case!).

The final elements are to put a cowl on the chimney, to build a front cover for the clay oven and put some hooks up for the tools.
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

preppingsu wrote:Well, at long last the clay oven has a house with smoker attached, a roof and chimney, thanks to the lovely sunny weather we have had over the last few days.
It has been made with recycled wood. We dismantled our childrens playhouse and next doors as they no longer has use of it and the wood was reused. Cost, again, has been minimal (as with the whole project). Roofing felt was the biggest cost. The colours are there because the playhouse was painted that way.
Photo0507.jpg
The smoker is on the left. It is a cold smoker (so just to flavour food) but it would be easy enough to convert to a hot smoker ( to cook and flavour food).
The small door below is the smoke chamber.
Photo0508.jpg
The doweling has held 2 sides of bacon during smoking - they just hung over the doweling. To smoke fish we put an baking rack (cooling rack) and laid the fish over the top.
Photo0509.jpg
This is the smoke chamber. By the time the smoke has come through the pipe it has cooled down. It then gets dispersed through the holes in the main chamber floor.
Photo0510.jpg
This is a side on view. The small door is the chamber where we put a metal tray with wood shavings and produce the smoke. The roof was made longer so we can have a small wood store for the wood that is used in the clay oven.
Photo0511.jpg
We have put a small piece of fire brick to sit the metal tray on (just in case!).

The final elements are to put a cowl on the chimney, to build a front cover for the clay oven and put some hooks up for the tools.

that is trully effing brilliant, was not expecting a huge mansion like that, looks great. :D :D

and was made with hand tools only?? ;) brilliant, well done OH!! :shock:
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

WOW! that looks fantastic preppingsu, really inspirational stuff for real life living the way we all want to :mrgreen:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Brilliant.Many thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Fantasic makes me feel quite envious. Can I ask how you came up with the disign
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

junmist wrote:Fantasic makes me feel quite envious. Can I ask how you came up with the disign
We mostly made it up as we went along!!!
The clay oven is based on the book cited at the beginning of this thread. The smoker is designed on Internet research. The whole structure was designed around what recycled timber there was available.

Mostly made with hand tools by OH. Clever chap! :D
survivor_steve

Post by survivor_steve »

thats looks absolutely greatm last year i was looking at getting one and was £500 or more, yours looks bigger and better.. great job and great pics, thanks for sharing :)