Outside Clay Oven

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Rosesandtea

Re: Outside Clay Oven

Post by Rosesandtea »

Really good, thanks for the update.
DeltaSierra

Post by DeltaSierra »

Great thread man, it's great to see the build and the testing with different food types and all that. Wouldn't mind one of these myself when I'm settled into a long term home.
combat squirrel

Post by combat squirrel »

This is fantastic !!! Brilliant stuff *takes notes*
popgoestheweasel

Post by popgoestheweasel »

That was a fascinating read and really good photos. Brilliant accomplishment.
Last edited by popgoestheweasel on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

popgoestheweasel wrote:That was a fascinating read and really good photos. Brilliant acomplishment.
Thank you. Next project is to build a cold smoker for the bacon from our pigs. I will start a new thread and post piccies and the process.
Zai

Post by Zai »

This is a brilliant project, beautifully realised. I hope you have many happy hours of cooking with your clay oven!
Erik137

Post by Erik137 »

Absolutely amazing build, I must say that I was riveted through each step, so much so, I am strongly considering building one myself (I just need to convince OH.
old git

Post by old git »

This looks like a great project and loads of fun. Be great to get the kids involved, they would love it.
I have no clay in my garden and no knowledge about it. Is there any special type of clay we would have to buy or would it just be any we could get our hands on?
Fascinating stuff thanks.
BelfastGranny

Post by BelfastGranny »

My garden is full of clay and I would love to give this a try in the summer and yes the idea of getting the kids involved is great.

I think it would be fantastic fun to build and use - much better than an overpriced rickety old death trap of a barbeque from B&Q!
Plantiejo

Post by Plantiejo »

Very thorough reporting PSu. Many thanks for sharing. Great photos and very inspiring. I hope to get around to the actual building of a cob oven in 2013. It's on my prepping list.

My very elderly neighbour in Portugal enlisted my help many times to help cook bread in her outdoor oven. There were several neighbours who each cooked bread and gave to each other. You can imagine the size of the dough mix we were dealing with and that's why she called me to help her when it was her turn. We made 10 large loaves each time.
The inside base of the oven was roughly 1.5m x 1.5m, it was a big one! There was no 'chimney'. We used to build up the fire for 4 hrs, whilst making and rising the dough, pushing the embers out to all the sides with a metal rake. The wood was old Olive branches that had been pruned from the local trees, it was very efficient!
The dough was formed loosely into 1 kilo size rounds. These were slid in off a wooden paddle straight onto the hot bricks that formed the base of the cooking area. They would spread out quite a bit so a good space had to be left between each one. Wet rags were wrapped around the wooden door and it was put tightly into place to close the oven. Some loaves were taken out after 40 mins, other were popped back in for a bit more.
She used to add sugar to a couple of them and caraway seeds to a few others but most were kept plain.
Putting the bread straight onto the hot brick base gave it a lovely flavour, as it does too for pizzas.
Everyone has skills...share your skills....keep them alive. :)

AREA 1