making beer

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Rob121

making beer

Post by Rob121 »

i used to make it last year its a very simple process and if there's lots of you it stave's of boredom. my gf's dad has got a mini brewery going on at his house. hes got 8 fermentation barrels in his spare room which hold 40 pints each. it only takes about 3 weeks to make and costs about £7 to £11 to make 40 pints depending on what you want to make.

in a SHTF scenario though you will have to have to have a ready supply of water and obviously not get too drunk! :?
preservefreak

Re: making beer

Post by preservefreak »

I'm bottling up 5 gallons of nettle beer on Sunday, takes 21-28 days to ferment and then it's ready (and very refreshing). home brewing is an excellent idea to save you money. and of course it's a low tech way to make water good (very very good in fact!).
Bournemouthprepper

Post by Bournemouthprepper »

that and the fact after a long hard day of prepping,a nice cold beer is perfect!
preservefreak

Post by preservefreak »

oh yes, there's little as good to come home to after lugging home 2 rucksacks worth of tins than a cold beer and a warm woman. especially when it cost pennies.

if anyone is interested in making beer I get all my kit from Wilkinson, don't pay a fortune at a brewers shop. they do demijohns too. though Tesco has a pretty good starter deal on at the moment:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4096.aspx

you get all the stuff you need (except a pressure barrel for making lager/fizzy cider)
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

Now this is a great topic! :D

I used to brew when I was younger but have COMPLETELY forgotten everything and all gear has gone West.

does anyone having links or advice on getting up and running from scratch (I know it's a big topic though)?

Mmmm, I made a fantastic honey brew somehow, which MUST have been good for me! :lol:
Rob121

Post by Rob121 »

i started because of i seen my girlfriends dad making some so i went to a local brewing shop and for the whole starter kit it cost me £47.50, i went abit mad though so £35.00 would easily get you started. im sure there is cheaper options but i dont know anything about these so ill let other people tell you if they know any better deals.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

How long does home made beer or cider last? Do you have to drink it within a few days or what?

How long does the dry mix last? You culd store this and make it in the future if it keeps long enough.

I don't like lager so I would be more interested in Cider.

If it keeps it would be a great item to trade with.

Be lucky (and sober)