wooden candle wicks

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
cornerstone

wooden candle wicks

Post by cornerstone »

I was thinking of doing some container candles with those new wooden wicks in they look good and do crackle anyone ever tried them and i wonder if those wooden craft sticks would do, you have to use soy wax i think i will let you know how it turns out anyway and for those who do not know about the wooden wicks i thought i would mention it.
sniper 55

Re: wooden candle wicks

Post by sniper 55 »

I've never heard of them, I'll have to have a look and see how it works. Could be interesting.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

By the power of google http://www.woodcandlewick.com/ they do look interesting don't they.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I have just bought some of the craft sticks or lolly ice sticks i will let you know how they go they were 120 for £1 so way cheap

it is saying they can be used soaked in olive oil first also the long balsa sticks from the craft shop soaked in olive oil keep them a little off the bottom it also says use one of those clips if you can
Bearded Prepper

Post by Bearded Prepper »

This sounds like an interesting little project, how are you getting on with it?

Any success?
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

Bearded Prepper wrote:This sounds like an interesting little project, how are you getting on with it?

Any success?

if you coat them in olive oil and do not put them to the bottom it works but i think the prepared ones are the best they come with their own clips so no messing about.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

i have done quite a few in glass baby food jars the lids keep the dust out and they are more or less free containers you can eat the desserts

30 or so hours in a larger size jar. i put a plug of a nightlight in the bottom when i use ordinary wicks and that is a boost of 8 or so hours before you pour on the wax giving it a lot longer i think about 4 goes of 8 hours in each one.