Experiments in skint blacksmithing

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
shocker

Re: Experiments in skint blacksmithing

Post by shocker »

No growling here, Deeps ! The smiley face was there to tell that...all mates round these parts :D

I'll stick to me metal banging
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Deeps wrote:
As you say, there are holes in the logic, where do you draw the line, if you don't know where electricity comes from, you're not allowed to use it ?
Lemons
Or Cats :lol:

Shocks: You've got an Oxy rig? Rotter! :mrgreen:

I'm going to try and imagine that I only have access to 'Normal' tools.....Problem is whats normal?

So, Seth, Jamesy and everyone who isn't a toolnut like me and Shock. What tools have you got in your shed/toolbox/cupboard/cave?
Various hammers, chisels, angle grinder, belt sander, propane and mapp gas torches, jigsaws, a reciprocating saw, gas MIG, various files, and many other things that aren't relevant to metalwork, I'm also a tool nut, but this is a new avenue for me so I'm missing a few key items, part of the attraction for me with blacksmithing is that I can buy more tools. ;)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Ooooh....theres SO much stuff...and you need it, really, really need it !
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

shocker wrote:Ooooh....theres SO much stuff...and you need it, really, really need it !
I definitely need a drill press, and a bench grinder, and a powerfile, and a nice anvil, and a milling machine would be nice, bandsaw, 3D printer, water jet, lathe......

Not sure I'll get all that in my little shed!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
shocker wrote:Ooooh....theres SO much stuff...and you need it, really, really need it !
I definitely need a drill press, and a bench grinder, and a powerfile, and a nice anvil, and a milling machine would be nice, bandsaw, 3D printer, water jet, lathe......

A flux capacitor would be just the thing too. :D
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Deeps wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:

A flux capacitor would be just the thing too. :D
I have flux and capacitors already ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:

I have flux and capacitors already ;)
Just need a Deloreon and you're good to go, get some dilithium crystals into that bad boy and you'll be the talk of the forum. ;)

Balls, I've cocked up the editing stuff and my witty riposte loses something. Doh !
shocker

Post by shocker »

Hmmm...my bandsaw is too fast for metal so thats one thing, my lathe/mill is too big to lug around so it sits at the farm with all the welders- could do with a smaller one. Got too many bench grinders/linishers already so I'll be converting one to wire brush and polish mop. Left me anvil behind so need at least one, havnt got a powerfile, will have to be an electric one as cant run compressor here, water jet- no, I'd rather have a plasma cutter (then I could have a new TIG), 3D printer, on the back burner at the mo but was building one, just one thing though...

...I'm skint. BUGGER !!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The great thing about smithcraft is you don't have to have huge quantities of gear.... It just makes life easier

Not mine
Viking grave goods
He seems to be doing pretty well without even a real hammer
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
shocker

Post by shocker »

Found the guy mentioned earlier in the thread -

http://www.davebudd.com