Experiments in skint blacksmithing

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
shocker

Re: Experiments in skint blacksmithing

Post by shocker »

Awwww...poor little snowflakes...snigger

I have along held strong belief that people should only be allowed to eat meat if they can kill and prep it themselves.

Yes I know that this is over simplistic and full of holes but the basis of it I think is a valid one. Kids used to know where food came from and the emotional cost involved. A friend of La Shockette who has three politically correct (fat,indolent,insolent,ignorant) children fed them Macdonalds burgers safe in the knowledge that "its not real meat in them"...

...now, to extent, she was right. Most of what goes into them I would not term "meat" but there are certainly pieces of animal in there :roll:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

shocker wrote:
PS Forgey- please do us a new thread on making blades from files/HSS and the like, I dont have the reference books anymore, most of the info online is BS and my memory is crocked :oops:
Third times a charm....

I'll post in Tutorials sometime in the next week or so.

To be going on with there are three main types of Heat Treatment. (I'm going to start with the fundamentals so we're all on the same page :geek: )

First theres Hardening (usually paired with Tempering), Hardening makes the steel hard and brittle then Tempering makes it a little softer and a little tougher. Heat and cool rapidly to harden, bring back up to a lower heat to temper

Then theres Normalising which relaxes the stresses caused by bending and forging (these are sometimes called 'Work Hardening', at times you'll want this and other times you won't)
Heat and allow to cool at room temperature.

Lastly theres Annealing, this makes the steel as soft as possible. Heat then cool very slowly (I tend to bury the piece in dry sand)
[/nerd]

Shocks: The material you're talking about is Thermalite, commonly used in the building trade for the inner skin of a cavity wall. Available from builder's merchants in a range of thicknesses...... Not thought about using it as a hearth :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
shocker

Post by shocker »

nice one mate, much appreciated- theres so much I have forgotten or didnt understand properly
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

ForgeCorvus wrote: I'll post in Tutorials sometime in the next week or so.
Excellent.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

Looks like Im off to get me another bit of railway track for an anvil, that and my oxy acetylene kit. The grannies in my sheltered housing are going to love me. Even more than they do already. They have panic attacks when I drive home in the V8 Rangey - they think the Luftwaffe have come back to finish the job :D :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Awwww...poor little snowflakes...snigger

I have along held strong belief that people should only be allowed to eat meat if they can kill and prep it themselves.

Yes I know that this is over simplistic and full of holes but the basis of it I think is a valid one. Kids used to know where food came from and the emotional cost involved. A friend of La Shockette who has three politically correct (fat,indolent,insolent,ignorant) children fed them Macdonalds burgers safe in the knowledge that "its not real meat in them"...

...now, to extent, she was right. Most of what goes into them I would not term "meat" but there are certainly pieces of animal in there :roll:
As you say, there are holes in the logic, where do you draw the line, if you don't know where electricity comes from, you're not allowed to use it ? etc etc. Seeing as how this thread is about metal working I shouldn't be allowed to use metal tools, I don't know how to make my own. :P It always seems to be the meat thing that can provoke a reaction, I'm married to a veggie and it surprises me how some meat eaters can be militant about them. I get it if someone is in your face calling you a murderer but there's a lot of hate towards the common or garden veggie. I've no problem with people who eat meat but wouldn't kill themselves, people who are militant about any subject tend to annoy me more. :evil:
shocker

Post by shocker »

I did say "over simplistic" and "my belief", didnt I ? Yes I know its full of holes but I have been a vegetarian myself in the past, and have been around farming, on and off, most of my life. As I said , my belief. Not telling anyone else what to do or think, a mans entitled to his beliefs still, isnt he ? Or has that been abolished too ?

Bloody EU, sodding "militants"...exits stage left, trailing straw and muck and baler twine, muttering to self... ;)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Deeps wrote:
As you say, there are holes in the logic, where do you draw the line, if you don't know where electricity comes from, you're not allowed to use it ?
Lemons
Or Cats :lol:

Shocks: You've got an Oxy rig? Rotter! :mrgreen:

I'm going to try and imagine that I only have access to 'Normal' tools.....Problem is whats normal?

So, Seth, Jamesy and everyone who isn't a toolnut like me and Shock. What tools have you got in your shed/toolbox/cupboard/cave?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
shocker

Post by shocker »

^^^ :D :D :D ^^^
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:I did say "over simplistic" and "my belief", didnt I ? Yes I know its full of holes but I have been a vegetarian myself in the past, and have been around farming, on and off, most of my life. As I said , my belief. Not telling anyone else what to do or think, a mans entitled to his beliefs still, isnt he ? Or has that been abolished too ?

Bloody EU, sodding "militants"...exits stage left, trailing straw and muck and baler twine, muttering to self... ;)
Easy tiger, not singling you out mate, just highlighting that SOME meat eaters get just as arsey as the OTT veggies. My brother is one, he likes the sound of his own voice anyway but when us and the girls have been out he's ordered the X, Y and Z and "whatever veggie crap she wants". Haters gonna hate bro.