Possibles bag or trapper bag? (pic heavy)

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
munchh

Possibles bag or trapper bag? (pic heavy)

Post by munchh »

The last bootsale of the year had me find a lady with a big pile of leather, nearly all full size pieces.

Turned out to be quite old and i did find out where they were talnned and they are also embossed, a couple of ostrich in this natural and black and a really nice black grained one.

Anyway, i have an old Marocan leather bag that a friend got me and i fancied making him something similar, we both like the colonial old style stuff and i think this has turned out pretty cool, its a haversack really, for they man up the woods.

Its all leather, no sewing atall, just a few wooden beads.

AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Jamesey1981

Re: Possibles bag or trapper bag? (pic heavy)

Post by Jamesey1981 »

There's clearly sewing, just with leather thongs rather than thread!
Some nice work there, my only critique is not of the work but the pictures, stick a pack of cards or something that everyone will have an idea of the size of next to it for scale in one of the pics,as from the photos I can't tell whether it'll hold my gear for a day or struggle with holding just my snacks! (I'm a greedy sod.) :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Hmmm, i beleive the word is pedantic i dont know about gready :lol: ok i get your point, serves me right for posting while tiered.

When i use the word sewing i am meaning needle and thread, i have never made anything in this way before.

And just for you Jamesey1981, as you can see there is plenty of room for many types of snack (other snacks are available from other makers).

The main idea was to make a bag my friend could use on his occasional trips to some waste land where he makes himself a brew and something to eat on his wood gas stove so had to be big enough for all he would need and possible a tarp depending on the weather.

This is the bag i copied, i realised after i cut out the peices that i should have made the front flap bigger, but it works ok i think, the original is made of a heavier leather, similar to saddle i think, its nice, i call it my "leather bag" as i keep all my leather tools in it :geek:

AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Nice stuff there mate

Which reminds me, I need to sort some stuff out
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Post by munchh »

;)
AREA 3
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Nice one, looks a good size, if it was me I would think it's a nice bag to take shooting, would be about the right size to hold a box of cartridges and a few bits and bobs without being unwieldy.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.