Cut test with one of my own forged swords

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Wulfshead

Cut test with one of my own forged swords

Post by Wulfshead »

Hi and thanks for the OK from the MODS for OK-ing my video of my sword test video.
I'm not sure if this is a hobby or an income but I get great enjoyment from forging swords and knives.
I'd like to point out the video comment about invaders is a tribute to all those ancestors who fought in the shield-walls to defend their folk.

This sword is a high carbon sword, heat treated to a rockwell 53 hardness. It's a design taken from Norse sword types from circa 850 AD-950 AD.
The pommel however is a custom design which represents the Ingwaz rune at the center with Odin's ravens represented by the two pommel lobes. That said, it's not to far away from pommels seen in those times.
Behold the old grey wolf playing with one of his swords :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEA3opr3scc

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Lanky Yankee

Re: Cut test with one of my own forged swords

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Wow looked really good. It looks like you didn't use much force to do any of the cut. Nice work!
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Very Impressive Mr W
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.' Area 4
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Lanky Yankee wrote:Wow looked really good. It looks like you didn't use much force to do any of the cut. Nice work!
Thanks, I didn't use as much as I could have :)
I pointed out the same to my brother when we were talking about the Battle of Hastings.
That sword weights 1.2 Kg and the way a sword is used in the films is pie in the sky. I'd say that at the time that a sword takes preference over an axe or spear means that the enemy is close and you want the sword to do what it can in the quickest time.
If you had to swing a light sword like that for more than 5 minutes you'd be fighting for breath.
I've got one that weighs 1Kg dead and that even lets you know after a bit.
A heavy sword can actually be made to feel lighter if you know the art of distal taper and keeping the point of balance to about 100 mm from the cross guard, any less then a strike against the sword is not easily matched and deflected with forward force.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Rincewind wrote:Very Impressive Mr W
Thanks,
I got round to getting that BOV we spoke about by the way, Disco 3.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wulfshead wrote:Hi and thanks for the OK from the MODS for OK-ing my video of my sword test video.

No problems Baldrick,, Sorry Sir Tony (sorry thats the first thing that came to mind when i saw you in the video :o )

Please leave my head on my shoulders :shock:

but that looks bloody lethal i do enough damage to my self with stanley knives at work

How long does one of those take to make from start to finish ?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Wulfshead wrote:Hi and thanks for the OK from the MODS for OK-ing my video of my sword test video.

No problems Baldrick,, Sorry Sir Tony (sorry thats the first thing that came to mind when i saw you in the video :o )

Please leave my head on my shoulders :shock:

but that looks bloody lethal i do enough damage to my self with stanley knives at work

How long does one of those take to make from start to finish ?
Ha ha, you're not the first to comment on my sir Tony looks. So my wife tells me I looked like Barry Manilow when I was younger and I had long hair, I don't know which one bothers me the most :lol:

From start to finish I could make a blade, hilt and scabbard in a week if I worked 8 hours a day & 7 days a week.
As this is more of a hobby and something to stop me going madder than what I am I tend to spend more days and less hours in the workshop.
I'm currently averaging about one a month with current distractions and teaching another survivalist how to use the forge and finish a blade.
I do cheat though but I consider it just a modern version of the traditional methods.
I finish a blade on my table belt grinder rather than the old hand turned whet wheel. I also use a 1.5 HP professional polishing machine to polish the blades and fittings, far to old to use the finer and finer stones to get the finish.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Well that certainly cuts well enough, and it looks great mate.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

sniper 55 wrote:Well that certainly cuts well enough, and it looks great mate.
Thank you sniper 55,
my wife does moan when I sit in bed with a sharpening stone, and I bet you think I'm joking !
Personally I can't see what she means that sharpening a sword in bed is dangerous, keeps her on her side though :lol:

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Had to watch the vid with the sound down for now, Champions League takes priority. :D I'll give it another watch though, it looks pretty impressive though and aye, you do look like you could come up with the odd cunning plan. :lol: