Living in a new build, Need storage, thinking under stairs

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
grenfell

Re: Living in a new build, Need storage, thinking under sta

Post by grenfell »

Agreed it would be nigh on impossible to remove the plasterboard without damage but in all honesty I'd cut out a "doorway" and create a door or hatch using mdf held in place by magnetic clips or buttons ( a sort of timber clip rather than those round things on your jacket) and painted in with the wall. A timber door will stand up to constant use or opening in a way plasterboard never will. If fireproofing is an issue then either fire resistant mdf or even something like hardi backer board could be used.
Meta

Post by Meta »

Thanks for all the tips guys - much appreciated.

I have had a very slight change in tactic as the space under the stairs backs on to the down stairs loo - I am taking going to take out a section of that wall (there are no supports or anything in the way of this one).

I have a large mirror that is very solid - albeit a little heavy, but am going to build a solid hardwood frame and have the mirror as a full length mirror (its double width so the size of a small door anyway). I will hinge it one side and have magnetic catches on the other. So if done properly it will just look like a bog standard mirror and will be openable if you know how.

Will make sure when its closed its fully sealed around using the foam strips you get for draught exclusion. I think this will make the most of the space and means it will be very 'stealthy'.

Any thoughts on this plan are welcome :)
own your situation before it owns you
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Rather then hide a door you're making it look like something else.... Points !
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes making a feature does make sense. To be honest I was picturing your void as being somewhat small and probably below waist height but if you can fit a full height mirror on there then that's going to be quite a large space.
Meta

Post by Meta »

grenfell wrote:Yes making a feature does make sense. To be honest I was picturing your void as being somewhat small and probably below waist height but if you can fit a full height mirror on there then that's going to be quite a large space.
should work out to approx the size of two double wardrobes if I can capitalize on the space properly.
Meta

Post by Meta »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Rather then hide a door you're making it look like something else.... Points !

:)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Old thread, some not currently active posters, but: did anything come of this? Im after storage space myself as I face a mutiny in the Shock Company due to taking up all the kitchen space :?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

It may be worth considering what's under the ground floor in a new build sometimes there can be quite a lot if space down there often simply blocked in with those concrete beams which you lay concrete blocks between, there's a few across the road from me, they lay polystyrene and then weyrock (chipboard) flooring on top,unless you've thought to look at it, it may never occur that you have practically got a cellar.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.