Wooden Flood Barriers

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Wooden Flood Barriers

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deep Thinker wrote:Clay and make a hump... Be cheaper long lasting and over covered with top soil can be grassed or planted
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Never thought of clay where is it sourced from and would it come bagged .
:roll:

few places on line

http://www.puddlingclay.co.uk/

http://www.mainlandaggregates.co.uk/eng ... -clay.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/ho ... ade-levee/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi all, this is getting more thought provoking by the minute and thankyou for the trouble folk are going to with information. I like the idea of the clay as will be longer lasting into the next generation .Think though do need to look at more diversion as well at the side of the house.If I can build something that can hold back to more than it has ever been then am more prepped .My plan after this would be if it ever happened again at the back of house then it would be like a pond so would pump round to the front garden and hopefully buy time . Will let folk know how it goes.
Cheers
DT
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Does your house actually flood? Do you have livestock on your garden if not??

If not you could be causing more problems to yourself in the long run, if it ain't broke don't fix it and all that
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Does your house actually flood? Do you have livestock on your garden if not??

If not you could be causing more problems to yourself in the long run, if it ain't broke don't fix it and all that

Hi Prepared kent
Does the house flood ,well that is an interesting question for the first time in twenty years and worst rain ever recorded since 1916 we had seepage into our deep sub basement which once i realised and sourced a pump was fine did not come in house proper . P :D roblem after that was the water coming down the village from behind and coming near back of the house .We did an emergency sandbag and block idea and the water never came in the house but it was to close for comfort.
As you will see with some of the great discussion and advice from folk on the site in terms of future prep I have bought two water pumps and three hoses and considering a really big pump with maybe generator (cost an issue) .So got to thinking what else I can do so with all the advice and being prepped (am not going with 2 hrs sleep a night for a week again) So was going with a sleeper or stone arrangement then Yorkshire Andy suggested a Bund with clay so thinking both and a small trench down the side of the house if this did breach although unlikely.
We also got in about the council as the burn at the front of house silted up and we managed to persuad them to dredge it out which had not been done for two generations .They removed 500 tons of stones and gravel from a 300 hundred yard stretch.Two feet deeper and wider now which will help.
No livestock so not a problem ,will start rest of plans in the spring summer.

Hope this is clear and agree would not waste the energy if was not a concern
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

it sounds like you have got it sorted then, I wish you luck and hopefully the next 100 year event takes another 100 years to come!! :P
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Thankyou prepared kent.Have already sourced 20 heavy blocks for free ,so once have cash saved next couple of months will by the sleepers,concrete and the 3inch thick wood as the fence.I am going to use the blocks behind the fence as supports and have a four supporting strutts so hope will do the job.I am a lot happier now that we have a plan and some equipment as did not like the disempowerment of the situation.As you say hopefully another 100 years .By that time I will not need to worry. :D