Shoe making

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
junmist

Shoe making

Post by junmist »

Ok some where on here in another post a long, long time ago, some one mention that they had started to make ballet shoes. I 'm thinking of doing this but wondered where they got the pattern for the shoe from as I can't find any on the internet and my trusty you tube isn't helping either. And no the ones I am thinking of making are cloth ones and do not need a larth to mold them :) but I do nee a simple pattern
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Decaff

Re: Shoe making

Post by Decaff »

Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Make your own pattern. Draw the outline of your foot standing with your full weight on it at a piece of cardboard, cut it out. Place several pieces of tape on one side and have the sticky sides facing upwards. Put a plastic bag on your foot, stand on the piece of cardboard and start to tape your whole foot. Draw the pattern directly on the tape and mark out the middle by the toes and so one. Cut your pattern out. Don't forget to add some seam allowance to the fabric.
Here is a picture of the same tecnique when i was making a pattern for gaithers (is that the correct word?).
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

MissAnpassad wrote:Make your own pattern. Draw the outline of your foot standing with your full weight on it at a piece of cardboard, cut it out. Place several pieces of tape on one side and have the sticky sides facing upwards. Put a plastic bag on your foot, stand on the piece of cardboard and start to tape your whole foot. Draw the pattern directly on the tape and mark out the middle by the toes and so one. Cut your pattern out. Don't forget to add some seam allowance to the fabric.
I've used the gaffer tape over plastic bag technique to make bodyforms for armouring, it works really well
Here is a picture of the same tecnique when i was making a pattern for gaithers (is that the correct word?).
Gaiters is the correct word for the soft version (buskins are hardened leather and greaves are armour)

One form of simple footwear are Side-seam Moccasins, this How-To uses felted wool and an applied sole but I've made ones using only a single thickness of leather.
If you want a shoe rather then a boot just omit the boot leg part
http://simpleshoemaking.com/wp/tutorial ... asin-boot/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
junmist

Post by junmist »

Thank you
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've seen Moccasin kits on flebay recently, off the top of my head I think they were about £20 but I might be wrong. I suspect you could make them cheaper but the pattern might be handy.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Here is a link to pattern for mocs and other primitive clothing items that might keep you covered head to foot in hard times.

Sources of leather vary, but if you use your head and available resources you will find good leather in craft shops, as old coats and bags in thrift shops and large spans of leather as discarded furniture and auto upholstery.

The link is from the University of Florida from their cultural recourses and anthropology department. they work closely with the remnants of several tribes that combined to form the group we call the Seminole tribe.

http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/index.html
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Wasn't the purpose of this thread to ask about ballet shoes?!?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

itsybitsy wrote:Wasn't the purpose of this thread to ask about ballet shoes?!?
:oops: You're right.

Here you go
http://shoesandcraft.com/2011/09/17/mak ... -tutorial/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Don't some ballet shoes have a hard toecap? I'm pretty sure the ones I saw in a theatre dressing room had the ballet equivalent of steel toecaps. But that was years ago.