Easy to make DIY Mini lantern

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Hamradioop

Easy to make DIY Mini lantern

Post by Hamradioop »

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
The-Mendologist

Re: Easy to make DIY Mini lantern

Post by The-Mendologist »

Clever, i like it ;)
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

I can't see how that's going to work much beyond 11 hours. A lithium CR2032 should max out at 225 mAh. Those LEDs are labelled as 20ma. 225 mah / 20 ma = 11.25 hours. Am I missing something here?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Bad Wombat wrote:I can't see how that's going to work much beyond 11 hours. A lithium CR2032 should max out at 225 mAh. Those LEDs are labelled as 20ma. 225 mah / 20 ma = 11.25 hours. Am I missing something here?

There is the concept of a time when an LED and a disk battery might be all that is available, and 11 hours of light is way better than no light. And there is no rule that says you have to leave it running for 11 hours.

It is the same thing as the little keychain bug lights most of us have for fumbling around finding things we drop in the dark.

Sort of a glass half full piece of knowledge.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Mortblanc wrote:
Bad Wombat wrote:I can't see how that's going to work much beyond 11 hours. A lithium CR2032 should max out at 225 mAh. Those LEDs are labelled as 20ma. 225 mah / 20 ma = 11.25 hours. Am I missing something here?

There is the concept of a time when an LED and a disk battery might be all that is available, and 11 hours of light is way better than no light. And there is no rule that says you have to leave it running for 11 hours.

It is the same thing as the little keychain bug lights most of us have for fumbling around finding things we drop in the dark.

Sort of a glass half full piece of knowledge.
Use to call those LED throwies, basically the same thing but with a cheap magnet on the back.

I like the bottle cap idea as you can stack your batteries and use a higher power LED, within reason anyway, as they can produce some heat.