washing machine drum firepit

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

washing machine drum firepit

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

The washing machine died on Wednesday.
"Ooh!" I said. "You can turn the drum into a fire pit for us to cook on when we're at the croft." :roll:
Poor Grumpy has looked at it and reckons it will be very hard to get the drum out.
Has anyone ever tried it? Is it do-able or just a pipe (and drum) dream?
ForgeCorvus

Re: washing machine drum firepit

Post by ForgeCorvus »

It shouldn't be too hard, I haven't totally removed a drum but I have replaced the drive belt and theres probably only a couple more steps after that.

You want a step by step ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

Grumpy'sBetterHalf wrote:The washing machine died on Wednesday.
"Ooh!" I said. "You can turn the drum into a fire pit for us to cook on when we're at the croft." :roll:
Poor Grumpy has looked at it and reckons it will be very hard to get the drum out.
Has anyone ever tried it? Is it do-able or just a pipe (and drum) dream?
I would have written it here, but its easier to watch this small vid series.

Good luck with your fire pit.

https://youtu.be/rFr1yrxd_ks
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The hardest bit will probably be moving the washing machine to an area where you can take it to bits without making a mess, they're heavy!
Other than that I've found its pretty easy to get something to bits if you don't need to get it back together again, pair of thick gloves, a grinder, hacksaw, couple of spanners and a Stanley knife should make pretty light work of it, undo any bolts you can, cut/grind off anything you can't.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Jamesey1981 wrote:The hardest bit will probably be moving the washing machine to an area where you can take it to bits without making a mess, they're heavy!
Other than that I've found its pretty easy to get something to bits if you don't need to get it back together again, pair of thick gloves, a grinder, hacksaw, couple of spanners and a Stanley knife should make pretty light work of it, undo any bolts you can, cut/grind off anything you can't.
Agreed.

They are generally pretty easy to get apart, getting them back together, watertight and working is more difficult!

But if it's knackered anyway, just take your time and grind off/drill out anything that won't budge. But do it in the garden/garage as they do hold water in all the pipes and bits, and you don't want metal shards on the kitchen floor - they hurt!

Good luck!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

To make it easier to move you could always take off the top and unbolt the drum weight.... Its hard to miss, its a massive lump of concrete on top of the drum
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

Thank you all. :D
He took off the concrete weight t'other day, then we dragged it on a piece of carpet till we got it outside and wheeled it to the garage on the little sack truck thingummybob.
He didn't want to make a mess of it unless he knew he'd be able to get the drum out, but I'll show this thread to him tomorrow and I'm sure he'll be out there with his tools as soon as the snow clears. :)

Doubtless the concrete weight will come in useful in our extremely windy field!