Petzl "classic" head torch led conversion?

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
sniper 55

Petzl "classic" head torch led conversion?

Post by sniper 55 »

I've got a few of the old fashioned Petzl zoom classic head torches, good torches in their day but now totally outclassed by led head torches. Now I know they can be converted to led, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it. If so did it work, is the beam rubbish (they had a sort of slightly odd beam pattern to start with ) or any tips, things I could learn from. Or do I just not bother? Any thoughts?
HBP

Re: Petzl "classic" head torch led conversion?

Post by HBP »

I bought a couple of MES screw in LED bulbs a while ago for my petzel headtorches. They were never quite as good as the traditional bulbs. The problem was the LED was on the front of the bulb and too far forward for the reflector to make use of them.

For me they worked but not as well as I had hoped.

If someone makes an LED bulb replacement that gives light out the side as well and its not too long then it might work better.
sniper 55

Re: Petzl "classic" head torch led conversion?

Post by sniper 55 »

HBP wrote:I bought a couple of MES screw in LED bulbs a while ago for my petzel headtorches. They were never quite as good as the traditional bulbs. The problem was the LED was on the front of the bulb and too far forward for the reflector to make use of them.

For me they worked but not as well as I had hoped.

If someone makes an LED bulb replacement that gives light out the side as well and its not too long then it might work better.
Thanks for the reply, I've heard much the same from someone else. Do you get any sort of focusable beam or just a mess?