Quilting

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Decaff

Quilting

Post by Decaff »

Has anyone here made a quilt for bedding? I'm getting my head around making two cot quilts for my niece's twins and if all goes well then will progress to a single bed size for my sons bed, thing I'm not sure about is the wadding inside, there is so much to choose from and I'm not sure what is the best to use.

Got all the fabrics lined up and ready to start, machine at the ready although waiting for the quilting foot to arrive.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
MissAnpassad

Re: Quilting

Post by MissAnpassad »

I've done some things in the crazy quilt technique, it's more forgiving for mistakes than traditional quilting. If you accidentally get a raw edge or a crease, you just sew some ribbon, lace or buttons on it and say it's part of the design. For wadding i've used textel wool, it's warm and i get it for free.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I am hand quilting a quilt (actually have 3 on the go at different stages) - don't own a sewing machine, been doing the main one for about 3 years now and have completed 21 blocks as I am sewing designs on each block. Hoping to have this particular quilt finished for my daughters' 21st birthday which is in 8 years time lol
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Wow! Impressed :P I don't think I have the eye sight to do it by hand. I can't do many of my crafts anymore as I just can't see.

I decided to go for bamboo batting in the end, I went and had a good look and feel of the different types and this was the softest, also being eco friendly was a big bonus.

Thank you ladies and good luck with your projects.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Decaff wrote:

I decided to go for bamboo batting in the end, I went and had a good look and feel of the different types and this was the softest, also being eco friendly was a big bonus.
Let us know how you get on with that stuff, I've been thinking of getting some for a couple of projects
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Post by munchh »

We have these sort of quilts on our beds, but they are the comercial type ones. I have done something similar for my boys to make summer quilts.

I bought single quilt and pillow sets with a pattern i liked, bought the wadding, put the wadding in like you would a duvet, then sewed round the edges and across the whole thing a few times to keep it in place and thats it, its a summer quilt that we use over a flat sheet on my boys beds.

I had made a kingsize one the same way for myself as i sleep hot.

I do love patchwork quilts, but i have never had the time to do a real one but this is a good cheat, you can buy a cover with a patchwork patter and sew along all the lines i just havent done one yet.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Will let you know when quilt completed his I was to work with.

What a good idea to use duvet covers! Why didn't I think of that before :evil:
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I have made some patchwork duvet covers, i too prefer sewing by hand, i use thin card/stiff paper as a backing to each patch to keep the lines straight and sizes true. I once asked some of my kids, who had left home, if there was anything they'd like, and was amazed when 3 of them asked for one of the covers. They all said they liked it best of all, even more than expensive covers I had as it was full of memories of their childhood (I used old clothes to make it). I used thick curtain lining for the back and they're warmer than standard covers.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

izzy_mack wrote:I have made some patchwork duvet covers, i too prefer sewing by hand, i use thin card/stiff paper as a backing to each patch to keep the lines straight and sizes true. I once asked some of my kids, who had left home, if there was anything they'd like, and was amazed when 3 of them asked for one of the covers. They all said they liked it best of all, even more than expensive covers I had as it was full of memories of their childhood (I used old clothes to make it). I used thick curtain lining for the back and they're warmer than standard covers.
I can't see to stitch by hand these days, even with glasses! Wish I had made one by hand when I could!
They are true heirlooms when made from old clothes, I asked my son if he would like one and he said he will let me know :shock: cheeky beast! :lol:
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Decaff wrote:

Let us know how you get on with that stuff, I've been thinking of getting some for a couple of projects

Update for you on the bamboo batting.

Fabulous to work with, doesn't fray or split when being cut, when laying the block of quilting strips of material on top it held on to it without it slipping but to be sure it didn't "wander" whilst sewing, I did put quilting pins round the outside edge and a couple in the middle. A dream to sew, no problems with it feeding through the machine but I did have it facing up just in case it caught on the feeder feet. All in all pleased with the outcome and its quite a substantial weight when completed.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any queries if I can.