Crow's Belt pouch

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
ForgeCorvus

Crow's Belt pouch

Post by ForgeCorvus »

As promised in another thread, my belt pouch How-To

First of all download and print out so the scale-bar is the correct size, this will give you a pouch that a standard tobacco tin will fit either upright or on its side.

This pattern was setup for light (upholstery weight) leather with either thonged or outside whip-stitched seams, so the seam allowance is around 3/16 of an inch. You will probably need to add some if you're machine sewing and turning in.

If your material is fairly heavy fabric (such as canvas, cordura or denim ) you will only need one of each of the three main parts, but you will have to bind the edge to prevent fraying.

I'm going to assume that you're going with my basic style.
Other options will be noted in green

Marking out

Back & Flap: Draw all the way around the pattern, marking in the Hanging loop holes, the two dots on the dashed line, the three holes for the toggle and the Centre point . If you want a velcro closure omit the holes in the flap, for a press-stud only mark one.. Omit hanging loop holes if using a belt tunnel or sewn hanging loops, sew on before assembly

Front: Draw around the small side (shown at the bottom of the picture) from where the dashed line starts to its end, join the two ends with a ruled line and mark the positions of the two dots. Mark the Centre point. The front will be covered by the flap.You can add extra patch pockets or equipment loops to the front, sew these on before assembly. I have made one with a double skinned front so the entire panel was an extra pocket

Sidewall: This is 14 inches long and 1 3/8 inches wide, this gives a 1 inch finished size which is a sliding fit on a tobacco tin If you want a different finished width you will need to change the length of the flap, I'll detail how to do this at the bottom of the post

Hanging loops: You need two strips 5 inches long and 7/8 inches wide. If you're using fabric you'll need to cut them double width, fold the cut edges to the middle and sew down 25mm webbing will do

Assembly

Find the middle of the Sidewall and mark 3/16 in from both edges.
Take the Front and (placing insides together) line up the Centre mark with the mid point in the Sidewall.
Whipstitch (or thong) from the middle to the end.
Sew the other half the same way.
Line up the other mark on the Sidewall with the Centre of the Back & Flap (again insides together)
Whipstitch from middle to the end and then sew the other side.

Finishing
Fold the Hanging loops in half, at the ends mark and punch the holes as on the pattern.

From inside the pouch thread a thong or cord through the top pair of holes and pass through the matching set of holes in one loop.

Looking at the back, take the thong on the left and thread it back through the lower right hole in both the loop and the pouch. The end will now be back inside the pouch.

Take the thong on the right and thread it back through the lower left holes. The end will now be back inside the pouch.

Take both ends out through the single hole at the bottom and tie together with a nice chunky reef knot, pull tight and snip the loose ends.

Repeat with other loop.

The Toggle
I make a one piece leather toggle and I'm going to have to do you a pattern for that.
Or you could use one made of wood, bone, horn or WHY with a cord/thong tied round it.

Starting with the hole nearest the edge, the thong end(s) are threaded through from the outside.
Back out through the middle hole and once more from the outside in the third hole.
Tie a big stopper knot.

At the Centre mark, punch a small hole through the Front and Sidewall on the inside of your seam (be careful not to cut any thread)

Poke a doubled cord or thong through this so there is a loop on the front and the two ends are underneath.

Adjust this so its large enough for the toggle to pass through and tie a stopper knot in the ends.
You should be able to pull the loop open to make it easy to open and close, pulling the ends back through the hole will tighten the loop and keep the pouch shut at other times

Width Adjustment
If you're going with a non-standard width you'll need to change the pattern.
Draw all round the pattern with markings as if you are making the Back & Flap.
Turn the pattern upside-down (not over)
Now mark where the dashed line is again
The distance between these marks should be the same as your Finished width so adjust to fit
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Re: Crow's Belt pouch

Post by munchh »

Have you got a pic?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'll have to take one.... Watch this space
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for this! Its the sort of thing that with trial and error you *might* be able to cobble together, eventually, but brilliant to have somebody else's thoughts, experiences and pattern, that's great. I'm going to download it, and then when you put a pic up, I'll make a pdf document out of it, thanks again.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Not to hijack your thread more to add ideas, this is one a friend made for me out of an old pair of motorcycle chaps...

its got quite a nice kit in it, although i have to admit, i have never yet used it. I am just having a go at one more like my change pouch that i have spoken to Crow about before, i will take a pic when im done, i may do a step by step on another thread?
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very nice! Brilliant re-purposing.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

munchh wrote:
its got quite a nice kit in it, although i have to admit, i have never yet used it. I am just having a go at one more like my change pouch that i have spoken to Crow about before, i will take a pic when im done, i Will do a step by step on another thread
FIFY

Thats a good size and nicely made.

I find that long pouches fixed hard on the belt tend to get in the way for urban use (chairs, seats with arms and seat-belts are the worse culprits). Ammo pouches (which are the same shape) tend to be worn higher.
munchh

Post by munchh »

hehehe, i do like you Crow, ok i'll keep my camera next to me.

Ive cut the pieces out, but i recon you are spot on, i use viper pouches at work for my hand tools, but if i get in my van to move to another site, i have to take them off as they get in the way, so i keep them on thier own belt.

I think it is why although the pouch it really well made, i have not used it as it is fine up the woods, but too long for day to day?
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

i have put a small carabiner on the ring, so that now easy to use
AREA 3