Diy hammer handle

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
diyharbor

Diy hammer handle

Post by diyharbor »

i always think it is beter to learn to make things yourself than to stock up on stuff. so i alway try and make use of what i have laying around to repair things, or make new things, and if i don't have things laying around i try and find them in scrap yards.

so recently i broke a hammer handle and spent about 2 hours making a new one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaaLUVdBrZM
BaseOne

Re: Diy hammer handle

Post by BaseOne »

Excellent video, really enjoyed it. Great to see someone "doing" rather than "talking".

Did you consider adding a metal wedge to lock in the wooden wedge?
diyharbor

Post by diyharbor »

BaseOne wrote:Excellent video, really enjoyed it. Great to see someone "doing" rather than "talking".

Did you consider adding a metal wedge to lock in the wooden wedge?
very nice observation, i did want to. i have used this hammer now and given it a good pouring on a metal wedge and its holding tight, i don't want to buy step wedges, but I'm on the look out for something to use. if anyone has any ideas that would be great. i did put so much oil on the wedge that it has expanded a lot and seems to be very tight. but a step wedge i think would give me a bit more life from this handle.

thanks for the input. kris
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

Very nice, its good to see that some of us have still got the skills to do this, i re-handle all my hammers and i used to do my Dads too when he was with us, i now have inherited his.

I do cheat and buy my handles and wedges.

Its also good to see that the handle you have made and fitted is longer than the usual club hammer handles available on the market. It gives a bit more swing power.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

What about the old cut clasp nails , usally found holding floorboards down ?

Need trimmed but could be used
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Good job there.
Nice Shave-horse..... Awesome Draw-knife

I tend to axe carve most of the handle and then finish using glass rather then use a draw-knife and scraper, but its great to see someone else doing stuff.

The hammer head looks upside-down to me... :?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar