Portable Solar Generator.

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
junmist

Re: Portable Solar Generator.

Post by junmist »

Brambles wrote:I have made a portable solar generator to not just have for emergencies, but to have power at the allotment and to charge smaller stuff at home.

I did a bit of research and decided on a 20w solar panel, 22ah golf trolley battery, 300w inverter and 20a charge controller.

Here it is.

DSCN1280.JPG

The cost?

20W Bosch solar panel = £39.99
Ring 300W Inverter = £22.89
PWM generic 20a charge controller = £8.25
22ah Lucas golf trolley battery = £35.70
Sundries (cable, fuse holder etc) = £15.00 (ish)

Total. £92.08

So, for under a £100 I have a generator that will power most tools I want to use away from the house. I can charge all the small electronics and my laptop and I can run a few things at home as well. It can also run things as the charge is created. The Inverter has a normal plug socket and a USB socket.

You could easily scale this up or down to suit your own needs and pocket.

My son is going to (eventually!) make a suitcase type box for this to go in to make it completely portable.

One lesson learned the hard way. DON'T BUY A CHEAP CHARGE CONTROLLER! The one I had originally bought allowed the battery to overcharge and then it blew up.

Next on the agenda is to make a small wind turbine.
OK stupid question how do I book mark something please :oops:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Hi Junmist

I would just copy and paste it into notepad or word (assuming your using windows) and save for later use. or subscibe to this topics for updates. the subscription button is at the bottom left of the page next to the bookmark button. Doh!.

Yorkshire Andys circuit diagram

red lines are the positive wire and Black is the negative wire.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

For those like me who only do simple, here's my version. Most inverters have built in sockets and usb ports (mine has)

DIAGRAM.png
DIAGRAM.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I *love* that one!
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Brambles wrote:For those like me who only do simple, here's my version. Most inverters have built in sockets and usb ports (mine has)

DIAGRAM.png

Outstanding work.

I GET it now!
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

A quick update; I have now added a cigarette lighter socket to the 'load' on the charge controller to make it a little more versatile.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Brambles wrote:A quick update; I have now added a cigarette lighter socket to the 'load' on the charge controller to make it a little more versatile.

Excellent idea Brambles, a 10 amp fuse should be used to protect the equipment plugged in to the socket. 10 amp or less. Dont be tempted to plug your inverter into it though as it should be a direct battery connection for that size inverter.
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

This is why I love this site. I could never begin to come up with stuff like this and now I could see myself actually trying it. Thanks for the info :D
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Just found this calculator for calculating what size generator you would need to run your house. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/reso ... lator.html

Welcome to the Battery Renewable Energy Sizing Calculator. This calculator is a tool to help you determine the model and quantity of batteries needed for your renewable energy or backup power system. from the Trojan battery company (no affiliation,no even a customer) http://www.batterysizingcalculator.com/

Interesting article on off-grid battery bank http://www.utilityfreeliving.co.uk/battery-banks/

food for thought http://on.ted.com/MacKay
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The thing is now temporarily mounted on a board and a carrying implement (bucket :oops: ) and the solar panel is mounted on the shed roof. I had the worst of luck with charge controllers! The one in the first picture had to be returned as it was faulty. I now have an mppt type controller and it all works perfectly. While it's static, there is a 12V light attached to it for the shed.

DSCN1330.JPG