Drinks Can Meths Stove

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Wolfman

Drinks Can Meths Stove

Post by Wolfman »

Finally gotten around to knocking up one of those drinks can meth stoves, here we go:

suprisingly quick and easy to cut the pieces once you get the hang of it.

I cut it with a mini snap off blade, knocked the holes for the jet in with a small brass nail from a picture hook and then crimped with the pliers on the multitool. then before I assembled it I just quickly ground the burs off the underside of the jets with the dremel as I read online somewhere that it adversely affects the vapour flow.

et voila!

onto the burn test....

DISCLAIMER - do as I say not as I do! it is a terrible idea to play with sharp pointy things and drink alcohol at the same time, I am a delinquent and should not be emulated by anyone!
Last edited by Wolfman on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfman

Re: Drinks Can Meths Stove

Post by Wolfman »

Having not used one of these before I wasn't exactly sure how much meths it would hold, so may have been a bit over enthusiastic when I filled it! next time I'd put less as this much really wasn't necessary but at least it gave the stove a good test run.

instantly took a flame and burst into life

this went for a couple of minutes before the priming flame died down and the jets ignited. I opted for 6 jets as it is easier to add more holes later than take them away! I think I will make one with many smaller jets to compare and see whether size or quantity is better for boiling water in my set up.

from the time of lighting, it had a continuous burn for around 30 minutes before extinguishing itself once the fuel had run out, and although it looks like a lot of meths it was the smallest splash, it barely looks like any has been used from the bottle.
Once I've made a pot stand at the correct height I'll play with a few other designs/jet configs to see what will boil water in a crusader cup quicker and keep you updated. I'd be interested to see how it performs against my bioethanol crusader cooker unit and the bog standard hexi. I'd like to make one from a smaller red bull can and see if it fits in the crusader base unit. I can see that this penny stove thing will consume me if I'm not careful!

All in all there are a lot worse ways to spend an hour, its a cracking little stove that will cost most people a penny to make as there are cans everywhere waiting to be upcycled ;)

DISCLAIMER - do as I say not as I do! it is a terrible idea to play with fire and drink alcohol at the same time, I am a delinquent and should not be emulated by anyone!
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Brilliant. I have seen some makes that use fibreglass insulating material or rockwool as an absorbant to make the stoves a bit safer.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

the problem with using any kind of wick in this system is that it would inhibit a build up or pressure. once the penny goes on and the priming flame burns out, the jets are running on the vapours of the meths beneath, which is hotter and more fuel efficient than just burning the meths itself. essentially if you put an absorbent in it would hinder the jets. there are other non-pressurised designs which which are positively improved by the addition of rockwool, though those designs typically have an open well in the centre of the stove.

full instructions on building this stove can be found on http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/penny2.html

and there are plenty of non-pressurised designs available on http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wolfie: Thats one I haven't seen before. I tend to build one thats Well-Primed but still a pressure stove.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
greyman

Post by greyman »

Well done mate,made a few of these.
Like you say good way to spend an hour.
And for what they are they don't half work well.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm a big fan.

No moving parts
Cheap (read 'free')
Can be made 'In-the-Field'
Fuel is nicer to handle and use.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I love the innovation here. My only concern is, can the burner take any weight? Cos you'll want to put something on top of it to heat up...........
Knowledge is power
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

That pattern needs an extra pot stand, the bottom of the pan should be about where the flames change colour.

Some of the others don't as they're designed to act as both pot stand and burner, in fact the type I most often make requires the pot to rest on it in order to generate the pressure
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I think I'll be having a crack at this on Monday! :)

Thanks for the info mate, the photos are excellent.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.