Wooly Hats and knitting

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
munchh

Re: Wooly Hats and knitting

Post by munchh »

AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Wow what a good idea. I am a good knitter, learned from a Shetlander 50 years ago lol, so I do knit a lot of hats chestwarmers gloves and above all, socks. But I do like this wee gadget. The secret to warm hand knits is to always use a smaller needle than it calls for, and always use pure wool or a cashmere/alpaca/wool blend. :mrgreen:
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Discovered this video by this lady who seems to be able to make a whole jumper with round looms

http://youtu.be/_BvD6Ji7fjk
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
munchh

Post by munchh »

It is very clever, but alot to learn, I think it is probably more versitile than my addi, but I think there is more for me to learn.
I will have a look at more vids on these though, m I wonder if using both will be a good thing, I need to spend some time with my mum.
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

Im finding that a 100g ball of 50% merino wool "chunky" is costing me about £3.50, this makes a nice double layer hat with no turn over.
The chunky wool seems to give the best knit, double knit (DK) is ok but you will end up with a looser knit and so will end up with a longer tube that gives you a hat with about a 2" turnover.
I tried one of the super chunky acrilics, the pic of the black and white, the machine didnt like it much and as it was not twisted but has a thread wrapped around the main fibres, the machine grabbed through it alot.
I undid my wifes hat at least twice before I got it right.
so being a machine it does have a working limit, but its very workable.

im now trying to find 100% wool for a good price I did buy some in Lidl, its very ruff.
AREA 3
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

munchh dont buy wool from aldi or lidl, it falls apart when its washed. Look online for UK yarn sites. :)
munchh

Post by munchh »

Yeah the stuff i got was "felting wool" very odd.

ive been buying Robin, Wendy, Jarol sweet briar and Jarol heritige, the last being the most expencive, 55% wool, 25% acrilic, 20% nylon, it feels very nice, but is only a DK, its a shame the dont do a chunky. The Jarol sweet briars had some nice forest/earthy colours, but they seem to be discontinued now i have bought all the shop stock, the Wendy is is a 50%merino and chunky, its my favourite, i wish it would snow so i could prove how warm it is :D
i never thought i would know so much about wool?
AREA 3
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

The thing with felting wool is that you knit whatever it is much bigger than you actually need, then you wash it and tumble dry it and it shrinks. And you keep on doing that until it fits. It's what the Norwegians and Icelanders do, it makes a dense mat of felt and is very very warm. Used for slippers a lot, and sometimes bags. I never tried it yet but have seen some very nice cosy examples.
DROPS wool is good, it's Norwegian pure wool and it washes in the machine, and you can buy it online. The also do alpaca which you can use one strand of wool and one of alpaca. Alpaca is 4 times warmer than wool - but it makes me itch like hell I canny wear it lol