Desiccant Sachets

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
FEISTY

Desiccant Sachets

Post by FEISTY »

Not sure if this comes under this topic, but, having spent a fortune on those desiccant sachets, I decided to DIM (Do It Myself). They're useful for all sorts of stuff, eg inside shoe boxes to keep them bone dry and sweet smelling and inside camera cases, etc. Now that I'm prepping, I've graduated onto the larger sizes to keep the contents of large Really Useful Boxes dry while they're stored in the garage. So, having looked into this, I've bought a couple of large bags of silica cat litter (a huge saving) and I'm trying to decide how to package it up. The best way seems to be to use coffee filters (taped, stapled or sewn - I favour the latter), but I don't have any. So, what I'm wondering is, can I use fabric? I have a fair bit of left over fabrics stored. Can I make some attractive sachets (well, if you're going to make it, make it beautiful ;)) or would I regret it? The only fabrics I've see recommended as suitable alternatives are "cheesecloth, silk or nylon stockings" (don't have cheesecloth or silk and don't really want to use tights, especially because the colour might transfer). Want to make a batch tomorrow, but should I run out and get coffee filters first?
Decaff

Re: Desiccant Sachets

Post by Decaff »

What a good idea! Have you thought about using cotton for the material or would that not work?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Decaff wrote:What a good idea! Have you thought about using cotton for the material or would that not work?
This is what I'm not sure about Decaff. Don't know if fabric will absorb moisture too and go ... fusty? I'll be using these in the garage where it's totally unheated and I want to be sure they won't go mouldy when the silica's reached saturation point. It's not looking like anyone has tried it with anything other than coffee filters (on You Tube). Actually, I did think of using those blue, disposable, cleaning cloths or even scented tumble drier sheets (which I keep after I've used them to make tumble drier fluff kindling (? - to catch the spark to light a fire)). New ones would probably work and would smell pleasant too. I'm all for recycling or at least keeping the cost minimal. I may try some of each and see how I get on. I guess someone's got to try it first. I dry the sachets (spread out on a tea towel or kitchen towel to stop them falling through) on top of the radiators, rather than putting them in the oven, but I haven't gone all scientific and weighed them before and after to see how much moisture they're absorbing - or not. In the US, where coffee filters are cheap, plentiful and always available, they make their own sachets to keep in their ammo buckets LOL! Those two big bags of silica cat litter are going to go a long way ... :).
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'd of thought pretty much any fine fabric (thin and with a high thread-count) would work.
J-cloths (and the 'Own Brand' versions) or drier sheets (possibly not scented around non-tinned foodstuffs) are just non-woven fabrics, just like coffee filters are non-woven fabrics (different fibres but arranged the same way).

I don't see any reason why you can't use any permeable sheet for this job.

Suck it and see..... Then post a write-up ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Post by munchh »

BT engineers have various sizes of desicants in their vans, they are used in underground cable joints and the green boxes by the side of the road, it doesnt hurt to ask :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Most Caravan dealers sell silica gel for use in overwintering Caravans and Motor homes. You can also fin it in Aldi twice a year. The coop sell coffee filters.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.