Scout knife refurb

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
featherstick

Scout knife refurb

Post by featherstick »

This is a pal's old sheath knife from his scouting days, and there's a story. He has had it since he was a lad and all through his Army days, and it was in his allotment shed for several years. One day the shed was burgled and the knife disappeared. Kev was gutted, and then delighted when it turned up on the ground outside a year later, very rusty. He gave it to me to see whether I could refurb it. Well it took me a while (new house, new baby, new job etc.) but three years later I discovered that a strong mix of citric acid would get the rust off it without weakening the blade like mechanical removal would. I cleaned it up and sharpened it and then decided to make a sheath for it. It's my second leatherwork piece and it's still very rough indeed but the knife is now serviceable and sheathed and I'm very pleased with it. I hope Kev will be, after three years he's probably given up on ever seeing it again.

Quercus-robur

Re: Scout knife refurb

Post by Quercus-robur »

Nice work. Have you given it back to your friend yet? What did he think?

I'm impressed with the sheath. Doesn't matter that it's rough. It's functional and I would take that over aesthetics any day. I have just started learning to work with leather and have found charity shops an invaluable source of leather goods that I can use for the material.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Kev was pretty pleased yesterday when I gave it back to him. He had forgotten, he said, but I think he'd given up on it. He was chuffed.
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Well done - rescued an important artefact full of memories....