Stores cupboard

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
itslee

Stores cupboard

Post by itslee »

Finally got around to starting my project on converting a cupboard in my bedroom into a store for my preps. Current size is 6ft H x 2.7ft x 2.7ft. So far I've ripped out old wood timbers that were in there held in with nails (previous owner install). And I've installed full length wood beams but of course I've used screws and wall plugs haha. Also filled some holes in the walls to stop moist coming through the holes to the stores.

Next is to paint the cupboard and decide if I'm making slated shelves or a complete board shelve. Also looking for them under the bed type storage boxes which would be ideal for the style of storage im doing.

Anyone have any tips to maximise my store? Also would a hidden compartment be ideal at the top with some sort of hatch to hide anything that might need hiding?

Thanks.
pitchshifter

Re: Stores cupboard

Post by pitchshifter »

Home Bargains have under bed storage boxes for £2.99. I had some Ikea ones but they were huge and wouldn't fit under my new bed as it has extra legs, looking at your measurements they might just fit your cupboard though, they were £6 each.

Sounds like a god project, good luck with it.
itslee

Post by itslee »

Well I'm still undecided on how big I want my shelves to fit undecided storage boxes sizes lol. I still need to go an buy my shelves yet and the brackets.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

You can use the space under kitchen cupboards by removing the kick boards, sliding in one of those slim under bed storage boxes full of food etc and replace the kick board.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Look at BIGDUG shelving and storage , we got 4 shelving units and 30 plastic boxes with lids for something like £200 quid ,maybe cheaper .

J
Last edited by poppypiesdad on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I just stack and store:

All hidden behind sleeping bags (in the picture), then the cupboard doors shut.

Job done. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
itslee

Post by itslee »

pseudonym wrote:I just stack and store:

All hidden behind sleeping bags (in the picture), then the cupboard doors shut.

Job done. :mrgreen:
Wow nice to see pics of stores. I had planned to stack like that, but I am unsure that my cupboard is built. I don't fancy stacking them on the floor for the floor to give way. So ive added shelves to spread the load.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Well you've had 3 months now, so what's the outcome?
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.