Gas bottle burner

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
greyman

Gas bottle burner

Post by greyman »

Been making these for a while and while doing a first burn to remove the paint noticed how it was basically a big rocket stove as the flames shoot out of the flue,
Decided to build a trivet for the flue out of rebar and give it a try,very impressed with how quick it boiled a full kettle
nickdutch

Re: Gas bottle burner

Post by nickdutch »

Thats unbelievably beautiful to be honest. Once I have the cash I was thinking of getting a few of those L shaped rocket stoves as they look like great fun and fuel efficient for outdoors cooking too.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
greyman

Post by greyman »

I'd have ago at making one of these,you only really need an angle grinder and a drill.
Plus you get the added bonus of keeping you warm as they throw out some heat .
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

greyman wrote:I'd have ago at making one of these,you only really need an angle grinder and a drill.
Before anyone thinks Oh OK and takes an angle grinder to a gas cylinder, please, please, please exercise EXTREME care and make sure that the gas cylinder has been properly purged of its (explosive/flammable) contents. Else you risk causing yourself and other in the area life changing injuries (or worse!).
greyman

Post by greyman »

Devonian wrote:
greyman wrote:I'd have ago at making one of these,you only really need an angle grinder and a drill.
Before anyone thinks Oh OK and takes an angle grinder to a gas cylinder, please, please, please exercise EXTREME care and make sure that the gas cylinder has been properly purged of its (explosive/flammable) contents. Else you risk causing yourself and other in the area life changing injuries (or worse!).
Yeah,what he says.
Purge the bottle first,here's a step by step its easy.
Depending on bottle type try and get a regulator and open the bottle to release gas/odour,I leave mine for a week .
After your week try and remove the brass connector on the top with a big spanner usually a good tap with a hammer will get it moving,if not hacksaw through the brass connector flush against the top of the bottle,once this is off fill the bottle with water,again I leave it for a week,but have filled and emptied twice and used straight away.
Please note I accept no responsibility if you go bang ,but I've done close to 30 of these and I've still got my eyebrows(no fingers,just my eyebrows) :shock:

REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST
AND DONT SMOKE WHILE YOUR EMPTYING THE GAS OUT.
probably forgot something,but hey ho
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Don't forget that a nut on a gas bottle with a line cut into the corners of the flats undoes clockwise.

The water filling trick is a good-un, I use this method when making my forge bodies out of old gas bottles.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A jigsaw with fine-toothed metal cutting blades will also work........ Slowly, but more precisely then your average mangle-grinder.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
greyman

Post by greyman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:A jigsaw with fine-toothed metal cutting blades will also work........ Slowly, but more precisely then your average mangle-grinder.
I use the 1mm discs forge,I know what you mean about the mangle grinder :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

greyman wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:A jigsaw with fine-toothed metal cutting blades will also work........ Slowly, but more precisely then your average mangle-grinder.
I use the 1mm discs forge,I know what you mean about the mangle grinder :D

I hate slitting discs full face screen if i use them i have seen / had several shatter
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

oh god just seen this do not copy this chap :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2F7d8Y1jbA

oh and steel and steel also makes sparks never mind the fag in his mouth
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine