low rpm 12 volt motor/generator?

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
handyandy

low rpm 12 volt motor/generator?

Post by handyandy »

Wondered if any techno types on here would know where to find a suitable low rpm generator/motor I could use
for a wind turbine project
what items have these fitted?
ive heard maybe electric treadmills have these but needs to be 12 volt DC
many thanks in advance
Briggs 2.0

Re: low rpm 12 volt motor/generator?

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'm putting together a small size VAWT turbine project and this may come across as a bit radical but I'm considering using 2 x Shimano dynamo hubs, one on each end of the VAWT. These are rated at 6v 3w so pretty low powered but all I'm after is a slow steady trickle recharge. Using two of these in series gives 12v. Check out Youtube, there's a guy on there who has done some extensive testing on these hubs and from what I can figure they produce more volts and amps than 6v/3w at low revs.

turbine - www.starkwind.net. Not shown on the web is a 50cm blade design that I am going for.
hubs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjuJmwMGzxQ

If you're looking for high power this may not be for you. I want a turbine that doesn't broadcast 'Hey look at me' so small size and low noise is my priority. I've got as far as choosing the VAWT blade design and going for these hubs. I've not built it yet as my funds went elsewhere this month so I can't offer any hands-on practical advice but perhaps this will give you some ideas.

Although, if you are wanting a low RPM 500w solution this is clearly not for you!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
handyandy

Post by handyandy »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I'm putting together a small size VAWT turbine project and this may come across as a bit radical but I'm considering using 2 x Shimano dynamo hubs, one on each end of the VAWT. These are rated at 6v 3w so pretty low powered but all I'm after is a slow steady trickle recharge. Using two of these in series gives 12v. Check out Youtube, there's a guy on there who has done some extensive testing on these hubs and from what I can figure they produce more volts and amps than 6v/3w at low revs.

turbine - http://www.starkwind.net. Not shown on the web is a 50cm blade design that I am going for.
hubs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjuJmwMGzxQ

If you're looking for high power this may not be for you. I want a turbine that doesn't broadcast 'Hey look at me' so small size and low noise is my priority. I've got as far as choosing the VAWT blade design and going for these hubs. I've not built it yet as my funds went elsewhere this month so I can't offer any hands-on practical advice but perhaps this will give you some ideas.

Although, if you are wanting a low RPM 500w solution this is clearly not for you!

as you say pretty low yield but makes you think if it would work having a 'bank' of these small turbines rather than one big one!?
though the shimano dynamos seem reasonably dear (£50+) you can get ones off amazon for less than a tenner each
maybe an idea to make a mini turbine first before embarking on larger one.
im looking something to generate 500watts ish.Have seen brand new kit for around 300 quid and wonder if less hassle than embarking on a hit and miss project!lol

thanks for your reply :)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

If location and security isn't an issue then a 500w HAWT is probably the best bet. eBay is flooded with a 500w IstaBreeze models for circa £250. I am just a bit sceptical when there's a lot for sale on eBay plus the reviews say it needs to be a gale before anywhere near 500w is produced.

Missouri Wind and Solar is a good reference to see what can be made from a kit using Windzilla generators.

I want my VAWT to be unobtrusive, no noise and out of sight as much as possible which is why I'm considering it as more of a trickle charger. I plan to use it with my solar panel to get the best of both.
handyandy

Post by handyandy »

yeah bit optimistic those turbines on ebay,amazon etc!location/security isn't a problem.
finding the motor/generator seems to be the main hurdle.ive plenty of old car alternators lying about but they need thousands of rpm to work rather than the low rpm
im looking for.
have thought about gearing but more to go wrong,direct drive is always best.
will just have to keep my eyes peeled for suitable motor ;)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Google 'Windzilla'. I was looking at those because they are low RPM generators.
handyandy

Post by handyandy »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Google 'Windzilla'. I was looking at those because they are low RPM generators.
will do,appreciate it :)
diyharbor

Post by diyharbor »

i made a wind turbine from scraps and it works quite well. you can see the whole build on my Chanel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCthR5u2sCY