one for the boys ???? or girls

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
junmist

one for the boys ???? or girls

Post by junmist »

Does anyone know if you can get a plan of a hand go cart free on line. I know the general principle but I am having trouble on how to make the front wheels move and I have never actually seen one in real life.
The plans I have looked at do not show this part of the build and it is very frustrating trying to figure out how to make this with out pictures as I am a visual person and not a written word person.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
ForgeCorvus

Re: one for the boys ???? or girls

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Like these ?

You're effectivly building a simple 'Fifth wheel' (as used in wagons and four wheeled carts )
A bolt acts as a pivot and between the spine and the front crossmember you'll need a baring surface, a couple of big washers or flat metal plates with holes in them (large enough to pass the bolt) are the simplest option.

Done a few in the past, if you're planning on using it as a handcart I'd use a ridgid yoke to pull and steer it rather then the rope used in a 'classic' a hill racer
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
redskies

Post by redskies »

That brings back a lot of good memories - known in Scotland as a 'bogie'.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

redskies wrote:That brings back a lot of good memories....
Yes doesn't it just!! :lol:

Our one was made with a 6 foot long scaffold plank as the basis of it, 3 of us could just about hold on for dear life as we hurtled down the hill - but we didn't have brakes on ours!!! :shock:
redskies

Post by redskies »

Dad built ours, welded it together out of scrap bar, then put a wooden top, no sides on it. We did have brakes, but they were only on one side; yank them on when doing a good whack down a decent hill and you risked doing an impressive number of 360°'s before you got to the bottom!

Some bugger nicked it once; it was identified by the quality of the welding and returned.

Happy days :)
junmist

Post by junmist »

Yes FC thank you. I tried to enlarge the plans you showed but no luck so if you could tell me where to get the plans I would be grateful. You mention a ridged yoke what is that please, as you can see I am a complete newbie in go cart building
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I just googled go-cart images and ignored the wrong ones.
Devonian's first link is the one for my first picture.

The yoke is the bit attached to the front crossmember to pull it along and steer, if the cart is mainly for riding down hills (or being pushed ) you need to use something flexible (nicking your sister's skipping rope is traditional :lol: ). However if you want to use it more like a garden cart then you use something stiff.

Like a garage version of this
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Bongo

Post by Bongo »

The bigger the wheels the easier it will roll. In my childhood we destroyed what would now be very expensive and highly collectable prams when we made ours. aaah the joy of huge scabby knees, arms and elbows...
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

junmisy

how did you get on?
Knowledge is power