Batteries and storage

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Wonderer

Batteries and storage

Post by Wonderer »

Hi not sure where to put it but I'm looking to see if anyone can tell how to store batteries as in for a lond period, I know they leak in a old iPhone box I used lol. Thanks in advance.
Area 8.
Kris369

Re: Batteries and storage

Post by Kris369 »

If batteries are kept in a warm, dry location and the ends kept seperate so they do not create a circuit and discharge they should last well past there "USE BY" date.

I simply keep them in their original packaging until needed in a spare plastic food container, keeps them water proof and would contain any nasties if something where to happen.

Of course rotate, rotate, rotate. :D Whenever you need batteries use the oldest and replace ASAP.

For larger batteries such as car, or battery storage packs, ensure you use the right charger and periodically check the acid levels and top of with de-ionised water as nessesary.

Happy prepping.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
Wonderer

Post by Wonderer »

Thanks yeah I do rotate them as everything lol.thanks for container suggestion,was thinking of that just wasn't sure if the batteries were cut off from air it would make them leak , don't ask why that's just what I was thinking lol
Area 8.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

I have seen a nice rack for storing battery's amazon I think hangs on wall new drop in top older at dispenser end though bit smaller than I'd like
Wonderer

Post by Wonderer »

Thanks I will have a look. Been looking in b&m and local DIY shops too. Good to shop around
Area 8.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

For hand-held device batteries, I stick to one size. My head torch, maglites, portable SW radio, home-made perimeter alarm, everything takes AA size batteries. This obviously saves having to have many different size batteries. I have Duracell for initial use and once used fall back to rechargeable batteries. For these it seems Eneloop batteries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ have a large following and I carry 8 (considering 8 more).
Charging is carried out by using a 4 panel Anker solar charger and 2 x USB double AA charge units.
I store the AAs in cases from 7 Day Shop and have marked the case so uncharged and charged batteries are held a different way round.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I too,use a plastic box with lid,stored in a cupboard indoors.
I also have a box for part used batteries -I always remove batteries from spare headtorches etc as it saves them leaking.It's easy enough to put them back in when you know where they are -I also keep a small screwdriver set with them for those things that need the screw loosened to access the battery compartment.
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

Also be careful that it isn't too hot where you store them.
I've stopped buying batteries from a particular local shop as they tend to leak -and I'm sure its to do with the fact that the shop gets uncomfortably hot in any half decent weather.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I moved to hybrids a few months back to ensure a rolling stock of power should it be needed, with a monthly process to recharge them in emergency equipment (walkie talkies, torches, etc.). I also have a large stock of disposables that are cheap enough to write off if I can't cycle through them quickly enough with kids toys etc. That said, I have some that arae 18m out of date and most are still fine (but need to be tested before use as some are completely dead!).

I also standardised on AA and AAA batteries. Saves a lot of hassle. Adapters to convert to C or D are pretty cheap:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Size-Battery-Ad ... ry+adaptor

Then you can buy job lots of long-dated batteries when they are on special.

Like these disposable batteries from Maplin - 100 AA for £15:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-extra- ... pack-n43cy

These Hybrids from 7dayshop are quite good value - 12 for £7.50
http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7daysh ... GTG800B2G1
Wonderer

Post by Wonderer »

Thanks a lot of replies and ideas. Hope everyone is well.
Area 8.