make your own cheap waterproof matches

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Mally

Re: make your own cheap waterproof matches

Post by Mally »

The watertight containers I would use when I was a kid were the type that rolls of film would be put in after all the pictures had been taken.
Another method was to layer them on sellotape and put them in a box.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

FEISTY wrote:
lonewolf wrote:50 disposable lighters cost £6.99 on Ebay!! :lol:
How many times will each disposable lighter light, do you know? I bought a couple at the start of prepping, but concentrated on matches. I think it's a good idea to have both lighters and matches, but have never actually used a lighter.
I listened to a programme on the radio where an arctic explorer was asked what they lit their cooking fire with. The answer was a lighter, with matches as back up. I took that to heart, if someone surviving the most extreme conditions on the planet has both, then little old me should also have both. In quantity! :lol:
Knowledge is power
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Waterproofing matches is where all my old Christmas candles go to die. I've used the waxed block of matches method and have been glad of them at soggy wet Guide camps when I've had a cooking fire to light first thing in the morning. I must do some separately this year.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'm rather taken to my "everlasting match" wish I could find a decent quality one but it works fine
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine