Mistaken candle

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
cpslashm

Mistaken candle

Post by cpslashm »

I made my first candle by mistake.

I tried melting some wax from around a cheese in some tin foil on the cool part of the range.

It leaked.

I spread some kitchen roll on it to mop it up, then rolled it up in tubes when cooled a bit.

When set, I tried lighting one outside.

Smokey, but 'twas a windy day and the wind couldn't blow it out.

Make of it what you will.
SHTF around 2017.
grenfell

Re: Mistaken candle

Post by grenfell »

I've made similar using hessian and wax. Started as an idea to make the Hollywood flaming torches and worked a treat . Roll of hessian nailed on to a stick and dipped in a pot of molten wax. I was asked to make some for a group of singers known as the Medieavel Babes for an entrance to a night concert. The only difference was the addition of Frey bentos pudding tins ( empty of course and what a awful task that was :D ) below the flame to catch any potential drips .
On a related note I used to just chuck cheese wax into the leftover pot of other wax but now keep it seperate so I can reuse for cheese but I don't really know if there is much difference between it and " regular" candle wax.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Cheese wax has a lower melting point, its a lot softer then candle wax at the same temperature
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Thanks , I had noticed it's softer , almost mouldable in the hand and had wondered if there is much chemical difference . Or to put it another way would candle wax work and be safe on cheese? Actually thinking about it candle wax is petroleum based isn't it? Does cheese wax use something like beeswax? That's perfectly safe and softer too.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Paraffin wax is probably food-safe
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I don't get why you would wax cheese when you can buy Edam or those mini cheeses already waxed? Or am I missing something?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Essentially it is for storage .low tech storage.
I seem to recall a thread about it on here I think.
greyman

Post by greyman »

grenfell wrote:I've made similar using hessian and wax. Started as an idea to make the Hollywood flaming torches and worked a treat . Roll of hessian nailed on to a stick and dipped in a pot of molten wax. I was asked to make some for a group of singers known as the Medieavel Babes for an entrance to a night concert. The only difference was the addition of Frey bentos pudding tins ( empty of course and what a awful task that was :D ) below the flame to catch any potential drips .
On a related note I used to just chuck cheese wax into the leftover pot of other wax but now keep it seperate so I can reuse for cheese but I don't really know if there is much difference between it and " regular" candle wax.
My mate used to make these every year with bamboo canes to sell at Glastonbury....
He was a good supply of wax at the time ...
junmist

Post by junmist »

would make great fire lighters :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle