Coal briquettes

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
jansman

Coal briquettes

Post by jansman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:54 pm

No ,not for the barbecue! :lol: Do you burn bituminous coal for heating? If so,you are aware of all that dust in the bunker,and the bottom of the scuttle.What to do with it? First gather your dust...

I use a plasterers trug,big and round.Tip in 6 measures of coal dust.Add 1 measure of sawdust.Mix.I use rubber gloves and get my hands in there.Add 3/4 measure cement.Mix thoroughly.

Then add some water.It needs to be just the wet side of dry. This one you will have to play with.Needs to stick together when squeezed.Remember that you can put it in but can't take it out! Mix it well.

I use a 3" flowerpot as a mould. You choose yours.Pack the mix well in and firm it.Tip it onto a board,let it dry.They will burn for an hour.

This takes me about 15 to 20 minutes,and uses waste.I always have cement in,and the sawdust is a by product of the chainsaw ,as we burn wood too! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

grenfell

Re: Coal briquettes

Post by grenfell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:10 am

I don't tend to burn much coal , well hardly any really , but I can remember father making coal bricks back in the seventies. As it was we lived next door to a retired miner , the last pits by us closed early sixties , and he still received a regular dilivery . He was more than happy for father to go round to clear up the dust and slack every so often , kept his place tidier and our house warmer.