Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
itsybitsy

How to use a vacuum sealer

Post by itsybitsy »

Good video here and very straightforward :D

the-gnole

Re: How to use a vacuum sealer

Post by the-gnole »

How do you get around putting sharp things in the pouches, grains of rice can be quite pointed, and spiral pasta is as well?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

You raise an interesting point. Pointy grains of rice or spiral pasta splitting the bag - well I never - that hadn't crossed my mind! :shock: Do you have first hand experience of this particular issue gnole? If so, how did you overcome the problem?

Personally, I would simply swap the bags I was using for mylar if I thought it was necessary, but of course there may be a better solution.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Double bagging in Mylar can be used to avoid the problem, vacuum seal the first and then wrap with a few sheets of kitchen paper and put it in another bag ASAP and vac and seal that one as well.

Even Mylar will puncture.
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

the bags that come with these vacuum sealers are a lot thicker and tougher than the resealable food bags you buy in the supermarket.

Havent tried rice or pasta thats not in the packet but I might just to see what happens cant see it being a problem though :)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

lisaloolibell wrote:the bags that come with these vacuum sealers are a lot thicker and tougher than the resealable food bags you buy in the supermarket.

Havent tried rice or pasta thats not in the packet but I might just to see what happens cant see it being a problem though :)
Have a bash Liis - and throw the bag around a bit in the interests of quality testing! :lol:

Then report back with your findings...