What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
preppingsu

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by preppingsu »

Steveo82 wrote:How do you use the dehydrated fruit :?:
I have dehydrated banana and apple on my cereal sometimes but can't think of other day to day uses.
I use it as a snack at work and especially when I need something sweet instead of refined sugar.

By dehydrating fruit when it's in season and therefore cheaper you can have nice fruit all year round eg we are eating dehydrated strawberries from the summer and very nice they are too!
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Thanks Su, I suspect you have just upset some of my family as i will have no spare strawberries this year :D
Ranthael

Post by Ranthael »

Wow!

I had some sort of "chip-making" device a while back and you had to turn it on for 12 hours, used some sort of air suction, and in the end the "chips" were like dryed fruit, but not dryed enough.

I'll definitely try this, forgot I had a nack for apple chips.
Food makes the world go around
http://www.yumbles.com
triffid

Post by triffid »

I'm thinking about dehydrating excess garden produce this coming summer....... we usually get a bumper crop of broad beans & courgettes. Now I like broad beans and courgettes but not morning, noon & night for weeks on end!
OK we freeze the excess, for use over winter, but this is somewhat wasteful (freezer space). Do food dehydrators work on broad beans??? I'm sure they must do for courgettes but beans (broad plus french etc)? Obviously you can buy commercially dried beans but does dehydration work at home?
Has anyone any experience/tips?

Cheers
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

I'm looking into getting a vacuum sealer, a dehydrator would work with that. Not sure if the SOH would let me continue breathing, however. :D
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

Selfsufficient Chick

Post by Selfsufficient Chick »

brilliant step by step guide on dehydrating a variety of foods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVpIHre2ao
triffid

Post by triffid »

Selfsufficient Chick wrote:brilliant step by step guide on dehydrating a variety of foods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVpIHre2ao

Thanks for that, Selfsufficient Chick, I have just ordered one from Flea-Bay. Hope to have a go dehydrating this weekend.
Selfsufficient Chick

Post by Selfsufficient Chick »

[quote="triffid"Thanks for that, Selfsufficient Chick, I have just ordered one from Flea-Bay. Hope to have a go dehydrating this weekend.[/quote]

No problem :) - I to get on with dehydrating some stuff again in the next couple of weeks
Djorn

Post by Djorn »

Well....been a while since my last post, been busy with life.

My wife bought me a Dehydrator and Vacuum Foodsaver for Xmas.....I was such a happy chap. Boxing Day nipped out and got some cheap beef, trimmed it (happy dogs) and dehydrated it into jerky. In a food bag added the cooled jerky, some herbs, dehydrated onions, peppers and a packet of cup-a-soup.....Sealed the now "Dried Beef Chilli"

Last weekend we had a Bug-In weekend living on our prepper supplies...this included a BBQ slow cooked Beef Chilli rehydrated with a good glug of homemade scrumpy....

Very nice !!
A Prepper is for life, not just for Doomsday !!
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Does dehydrating remove enough moisture to be able to store in Mylar bags? Or is there still too much and it would have to be freeze-dried to work for long term storage??

There are lots of things I'd like to put into long term storage - fruits, nuts etc but I don't think they would keep. Anyone with any experiences to share??