What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by jansman »

It would be a brave man to pull the wool over my wife's eyes! Anyhow,I found a good commonsense link.

http://anoregoncottage.com/drying-tomat ... ng-in-oil/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Finally decided to have a go at dehydrating eggs, I made square bowls out of the teflon sheets for the Excalibur with 4 bulldog clips, it's working but it is taking nearly a whole day, I did about 7 bell peppers and some red onion and spring onion in the 3 spare shelves... note turn the bloody thing off whilst checking, or be prepared to be feathered with spring onion :lol: I had gotten used to drying my brass in it and that doesn't blow around much, it does however roll around off and all over, keeping stuff on those trays is like playing "operation"
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Photos of the results vac packed Peppers in a vac sealed mason jar 15 eggs in a vac bag dried and wazzed in the vitamix for a few seconds, 2 tins of Full Monty ready meal partly for scale partly to say they were on at Tesco for a quid a pop again, i got a load last time but couldn't resist a couple more.

I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Just put some eggs on and a tube of tomato puree as an experiment.

Will post the results either way.....
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

pseudonym wrote:Just put some eggs on and a tube of tomato puree as an experiment.

The tomato puree is a good idea too, eggs take ages though good luck!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Plymtom wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Just put some eggs on and a tube of tomato puree as an experiment.

The tomato puree is a good idea too, eggs take ages though good luck!
3.5 hours in at 145 F:

Turned 1 tube of tomato puree over - fruit leather in texture.

Broke 3 eggs up - brittle almost dried.

Will give them another couple of hours....
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I did 15 eggs between 2 trays, clearly mine must have been too thick, the sheets turned into a sort of shallow bowl, I figure I'd be better off using small baking trays lined with grease proof? As with everything it was an experiment but it was on for 24 hours, if I could cut that by two thirds by using a more suited tray I'd be on a winner :)
I'm going to try a meal one of these days like a chilli.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:I did 15 eggs between 2 trays, clearly mine must have been too thick, the sheets turned into a sort of shallow bowl, I figure I'd be better off using small baking trays lined with grease proof? As with everything it was an experiment but it was on for 24 hours, if I could cut that by two thirds by using a more suited tray I'd be on a winner :)
If you're doing a chilli or bolognese cut up the veg quite small so it dries quicker mate.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I did 15 eggs between 2 trays, clearly mine must have been too thick, the sheets turned into a sort of shallow bowl, I figure I'd be better off using small baking trays lined with grease proof? As with everything it was an experiment but it was on for 24 hours, if I could cut that by two thirds by using a more suited tray I'd be on a winner :)
If you're doing a chilli or bolognese cut up the veg quite small so it dries quicker mate.
Good tip what about them kidney beans, cut em, squash, em?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

So Results:

Eggs - on the left

Puree - on the right

Eggs took 5 hours.

The puree leather was on for 12 hours, it was broken down into the two bags, fine powder in one and the bits I couldn't grind any further in the other.

The glass has some of those bits rehydrating in it.

Very happy overall. :)