What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

pseudonym wrote:As for LTS, if bulk became available at the right price I would definitely go for it.
Doesn't he say on the video that the dehydrated tuna will last about a year? But if you leave it in the tin it will last many more years than that. I can understand dehydrating it for weight purposes when camping/hiking, but not for long term storage.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
pseudonym wrote:As for LTS, if bulk became available at the right price I would definitely go for it.
Doesn't he say on the video that the dehydrated tuna will last about a year? But if you leave it in the tin it will last many more years than that. I can understand dehydrating it for weight purposes when camping/hiking, but not for long term storage.
That is correct, I was thinking about the chicken mainly but, if a supermarket had a reduction in tins due to BBE dates I'd probably buy and dehydrate.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Over the next few days I will be dehydrating allsorts. The bad weather we've had this winter has taken it's toll on the dry stores and I now find myself embarassinngly short of, well, everything. :oops:
Today mixed Peppers and over the next few days mixed veg, onions and salad potatoes.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

I must admit that we are running low on dried tomatoes. We seem to use loads. I am upping the ante on tomato plants this year and hopefully will double production.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

I am dehydrating nettles. They have 3 advantages over any other kind of dehydrated food. Firstly they are free and grow everywhere. Secondly they are one of the most nutritious plants on earth, far more nutritious than most of the plants we regularly eat as part of our diet.Because of this they have medicinal properties and can be used to combat colds and flu. Thirdly they are tasty but also versatile. They can be brewed into tea and make a very good tasting and nutritious tea, or be used in a soup, as a garnish, or in a salad. Everyone should be preserving at least a jar of this stuff.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Rebel Prepping wrote:I am dehydrating nettles. They have 3 advantages over any other kind of dehydrated food. Firstly they are free and grow everywhere. Secondly they are one of the most nutritious plants on earth, far more nutritious than most of the plants we regularly eat as part of our diet.Because of this they have medicinal properties and can be used to combat colds and flu. Thirdly they are tasty but also versatile. They can be brewed into tea and make a very good tasting and nutritious tea, or be used in a soup, as a garnish, or in a salad. Everyone should be preserving at least a jar of this stuff.
Good shout, are you blanching it first ?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:
Rebel Prepping wrote:I am dehydrating nettles. They have 3 advantages over any other kind of dehydrated food. Firstly they are free and grow everywhere. Secondly they are one of the most nutritious plants on earth, far more nutritious than most of the plants we regularly eat as part of our diet.Because of this they have medicinal properties and can be used to combat colds and flu. Thirdly they are tasty but also versatile. They can be brewed into tea and make a very good tasting and nutritious tea, or be used in a soup, as a garnish, or in a salad. Everyone should be preserving at least a jar of this stuff.
Good shout, are you blanching it first ?
I would, not just for the stings but the dog pee.... :

Yeah, I went there. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:
I would, not just for the stings but the dog pee.... :

Yeah, I went there. :mrgreen:
Meh, I'm sure you've moved in circles where random urine isn't a deal breaker. ;)
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

All my dehydrating is of stuff i forage rather than buy. I have nettle, dandelion, hairy bitter cress, garlic mustard and plantain drying atm but i get up to about 20 different herbs and plants dehydrating throughout the year when stuff comes into season. It's completely free, and its useful as if the end of society did come then i am well practiced in foraging.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Rebel Prepping wrote:All my dehydrating is of stuff i forage rather than buy. I have nettle, dandelion, hairy bitter cress, garlic mustard and plantain drying atm but i get up to about 20 different herbs and plants dehydrating throughout the year when stuff comes into season. It's completely free, and its useful as if the end of society did come then i am well practiced in foraging.
D'oh :oops: :oops: :oops:

It was the plantain that particularly struck me ... it self seeded in my garden, and after letting it do its thing for a while, it started to take over, so I've been digging it out :(