What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Brambles wrote:I've been using the Lidl Mandolin for slicing and I can say this; the end product is of a far better quality than I am used to with hand slicing. Not only is it more uniform in drying the colour and texture is better and stuff rehydrates to almost as good as fresh. Really pleased :)
Having chopped the end of my finger off last week preparing parsnips for the dehydrator (actually it was nowhere near as bad as I first thought given all the blood! :shock: It's virtually completely healed now) I decided to take heed of the sage advice proffered on this forum and purchase a mandolin! So this morning I've mandolin sliced 4.5kg of new potatoes which are drying as I type :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Still dehydrating Marmande tomatoes.Its been an awesome crop this year,and no blight...yet! Used 6 of the big sods to make a vegetarian pasta sauce.Lovely it was!

Dehydrating apples as well.They go down well.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Still dehydrating Marmande tomatoes.Its been an awesome crop this year,and no blight...yet! Used 6 of the big sods to make a vegetarian pasta sauce.Lovely it was!

Dehydrating apples as well.They go down well.
Our apples are still on the tree so its not an issue yet. Not sure what we'll do with them, I've got loads of sliced dehydrated apples from 2 years ago, last year it got pressed and turned into cider which we've still not tried. :oops: Not sure what we'll do with them this year.
jansman

Post by jansman »

You could chop em for the freezer,then you could use them in puddings( if you do puddings) or apple sauce.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

As well as the dehydrated apple rings I also lightly cook some with a tiny bit of sugar and just enough water to get them going and vac pack them in crumble dish sized portions and stick them in the freezer.
Then I always have them ready for crumble, but they're also a good size for a batch of fruit leather.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Jamesey1981 wrote:As well as the dehydrated apple rings I also lightly cook some with a tiny bit of sugar and just enough water to get them going and vac pack them in crumble dish sized portions and stick them in the freezer.
Then I always have them ready for crumble, but they're also a good size for a batch of fruit leather.
Do you make batches of crumble topping for the freezer too? :) Saves loads of time. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:You could chop em for the freezer,then you could use them in puddings( if you do puddings) or apple sauce.
Despite appearances, I'm not really into my duffs. love fruit, usually have 3 a day but its fresh.
Jamesey1981 wrote:As well as the dehydrated apple rings I also lightly cook some with a tiny bit of sugar and just enough water to get them going and vac pack them in crumble dish sized portions and stick them in the freezer.
Saying that, my favourite is apple crumble, I can't remember the last time I had it though.

If we can't come up with a better option then they'll get sliced and dehydrated, although the fruit leathers sounds tempting.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I love fruit leather, I put in a touch of cinnamon if it's apple based, and sometimes some other fruit if I have some that needs using up, you can put literally anything in one.

Try this cake as well if you have a lot of apples, it takes minutes to make and it's lovely, bit off topic but give it a go anyway.

Measurements are UK cups, not US
2 cups plain flour,
2 eggs,
1.5 cups sugar,
6 apples,
2tsp cinnamon,
Half a cup of veg oil,
2tsp baking powder,
Mix the eggs, sugar cinnamon and oil together, peel and slice the apples and add to the mix, add the remaining ingredients and mix, place in sandwich tin and bake for about 55mins at 180c in a fan oven, 190c in a conventional.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I love fruit leather, I put in a touch of cinnamon if it's apple based, and sometimes some other fruit if I have some that needs using up, you can put literally anything in one.

Try this cake as well if you have a lot of apples, it takes minutes to make and it's lovely, bit off topic but give it a go anyway.

Measurements are UK cups, not US
2 cups plain flour,
2 eggs,
1.5 cups sugar,
6 apples,
2tsp cinnamon,
Half a cup of veg oil,
2tsp baking powder,
Mix the eggs, sugar cinnamon and oil together, peel and slice the apples and add to the mix, add the remaining ingredients and mix, place in sandwich tin and bake for about 55mins at 180c in a fan oven, 190c in a conventional.
I'll give it a go, cheers mate. We have enough to try this AND do some leathers, they're something I could put in a pocket and sook when out with the dogs.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Of course,you can always make more cider... :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.