What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Brambles »

The Spinach took four hours to dehydrate from very wet. I've rehydrated a bit and there's no difference between it and fresh cooked. I call that a win :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:14 pm The Spinach took four hours to dehydrate from very wet. I've rehydrated a bit and there's no difference between it and fresh cooked. I call that a win :D
So you wilted it first? Full leaves?

I grow a lot of spinach,this could work.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 pm
Brambles wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:14 pm The Spinach took four hours to dehydrate from very wet. I've rehydrated a bit and there's no difference between it and fresh cooked. I call that a win :D
So you wilted it first? Full leaves?

I grow a lot of spinach,this could work.
Yep, wilted the leaves whole, squeezed out a lot of the water and then separated out the ball of leaves and laid it out on the trays, I didn't get too precious about it, but tried to make sure there wasn't too much stuck together.
The reason I tried is that I find frozen spinach suffers from freezer burn quite quickly so I thought I'd give dehydrating a go.
This is a 260g bag of fresh spinach. :)
unnamed.jpg
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Oooh!! Love spinach but it doesn't agree with me so I grow and eat chard which doesn't have the same effect. I'm guessing it should work with chard to... :D

Edit: a google implies chard is frequently dehydrated, mostly then pulverised into powder, but as I like to use in wilted in a Chinese garlic sauce, chopped into 4" bits like this website does seems perfect! Definitely going to give this a try! https://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com ... iss-chard/
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Excellent Brambles,thanks. I am on it!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Bolognese at the moment, to be vacc sealed and used for hill walking. I keep meaning to start harvesting nettles to give them a go even if its just to break them down to throw into soups and the like.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Come on then Deeps,tell me how to dry onions! :mrgreen:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm doing some mushrooms and peppers tonight, the mushrooms don't smell to good dehydrating :(
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:40 pm Come on then Deeps,tell me how to dry onions! :mrgreen:
Posted it on the onion thread mate,

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15732

Sorry, saw your post there first. They're quite forgiving, I put them on top of each other as I break them up anyway. Like most things, keep the temp as low as you can otherwise you can end up burning bits of them. I've not tried keeping them as rings but you'd need to space them out better than my usual approach of cutting them into 'bits'.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:58 pm I'm doing some mushrooms and peppers tonight, the mushrooms don't smell to good dehydrating :(
They'll smell better than onions mate, that's something to bear in mind when doing onions, garlic and the like, definitely better doing it in the garage.