What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Outdoorsy

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Outdoorsy »

This is super helpful - thanks so much for the step-by-step instructions. We also use Quorn mince so that’s good to know. I might try some this weekend. I have a new vacuum sealer to try as well—it’s all very exciting. Planning to do a shop and see what fruit and veggies are on offer. I’m just kicking myself that I did get to the neighbours blackberry bush before they cut it back yesterday (it was hanging over our fence).

After the dehydrator set the smoke alarm off at 10pm last night :shock: I’m pleased to report the second batch of bananas are much crispier than the first. It’s amazing how much they shrink down to! 4 bananas don’t even fill half a small ikea clip-top jar.

Honestly, I think this dehydrator will transform our food stash.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Something else to consider Outdoorsy, the temperature. I tend to do non meat stuff at 40, I've not done meat for a few years but used to do it at a higher temp to dry it quicker for the nasties that live in meat.

Enjoy the dehydrating mate, I can't figure out why but I get a lot of satisfaction out of it, more onions today. :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Can't be ars@d to search,so I want to do some beef jerky/biltong.What's the simplest or most workable recipe please?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 pm Can't be ars@d to search,so I want to do some beef jerky/biltong.What's the simplest or most workable recipe please?
I cut the meat up thin and give it a good marinade for a day or two and then just put it in the dehydrator, how dry and brittle it ends up is up to you mate. ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

What marinade Deeps?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm What marinade Deeps?
I use soya sauce, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce as the base and add dried onion, garlic and chilli but that's to my taste. Have a play mate and see what works for you.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thanks!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Plymtom wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm I'm tempted to do some onions if they are going to get scarce, plus they don't keep so well in this weather, no garage though sadly, still it makes a change from drying brass.
Not dehydrating I know, but just finished cooking up 50 onion bhajis for the freezer. House stinks lovely. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am
Plymtom wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm I'm tempted to do some onions if they are going to get scarce, plus they don't keep so well in this weather, no garage though sadly, still it makes a change from drying brass.
Not dehydrating I know, but just finished cooking up 50 onion bhajis for the freezer. House stinks lovely. :lol:
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am
Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am
Tell me Deeps do dehydrated onions make a good thick gravy when making a curry?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman