What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Of course,you can always make more cider... :lol:
That we haven't tried last years tells a story. The missus goes through phases of drinking cider but its never been my bag, we'll use them for something though.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Brambles wrote:
jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:I got a bit of a deal on some Jersey Royals the other day filled the dehydrator with slices and let it do it's thang. Sliced salad potatoes are a great standby and rehydrate really well to use either fried or in a gratin. :) Today it's onions and a bag of frozen mixed veg. Always handy. :)
I need to get some more Borlotti and Canellini beans done soon.
Please may I ask, do you just slice them and then dry them- no other treatment?
Skin, Slice and blanch, then dehydrate for about 6-8hrs.

If you dry without blanching the starch goes black and you have very colourful, but unappetising discs.
Yay thanks for all the advice Brambles and all. So yesterday I made my first thermos flask stew using my newly dehydrated new potatoes, dehydrated carrots and parsnips and dehydrated onions. Added an oxo cube and a well-heated tin of stewing steak in gravy (dated BBE: 04/15 :shock: mental note to self: improve stock rotation), topped it up with boiling water, gave it a good shake, and left it for about 5 hours. The spuds rehydrated fantastically, the carrots were a little chewy but nothing too bad. It was delicious! :D In fairness after I learned that it's fine to dehydrate cooked food, I do tend to over-blanch simply so there is less cooking at the other end, which probably helps with the thermos cooking. Waiting for my Foodsaver regular mouth mason jar adapter to arrive from the US then I will be on a dehydrating frenzy with the bountiful harvest at this time of year and storing it all under a vacuum in Kilner jars. :D Love my dehydrator!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm drying some more sliced salad potatoes. We seem to get through these quite quickly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've been lazy on the dehydrating front of late, I've just finished a jar of onions so I'll break out a new jar and start filling the old one. That will be tomorrows mission me thinks.
Preppa Pig

Post by Preppa Pig »

I am considering buying a dehydrator from Lakeland. Costs about £50. I read somewhere that dried food is best kept in vacuum sealed bags. Is this strictly necessary? I've bought plenty of dried foods over the years and none were vacuum sealed. Any advice would be gratefully received by this new prepper.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Preppa Pig,please go to the New Member section and introduce yourself.Its the rule.Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Preppa Pig wrote:I am considering buying a dehydrator from Lakeland. Costs about £50. I read somewhere that dried food is best kept in vacuum sealed bags. Is this strictly necessary? I've bought plenty of dried foods over the years and none were vacuum sealed. Any advice would be gratefully received by this new prepper.
Mine are in kilner jars (vacuum sealed) and ziplock bags. Oxygen absorbers added. The contents wont last 25 years, but long enough.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Just picked up 2Kgs of courgettes for 46p.

Already started their journey into being chips. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Did the onions, drying away nicely. Need to get back into it although I do have a fair bit stashed away.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I did some mushrooms as well. I think I'm about done now til after Christmas.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon